wiring problem?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
My main guitar has a problem which it hasn't ever shown before. I'm sat at home playing, and out of the blue the volume cuts to about 50% of what it should be. If I bash the end of the guitar on the carpet it works OK again for a while (it's a relic!), but eventually it does the same thing.

I had a look at the wiring, and nothing appears to be loose in any way. What is going on???
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    faulty pot?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dirty or corroded jack socket contacts?

If the guitar has active pickups, EQ or booster devices, the +9v battery could be due for replacement.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    Again dirty or loose jack contacts. Some lemon juice or vinegar on a cotton bud to clean the contact area might help diagnose it.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14336
    tFB Trader
    suspect dry joint, maybe on the volume pot - or dirt on the contacts of the pot - try cleaning the pot with a switch cleaner like Servisol - a quick spray and quickly move the pot from 1-10 a few times to clean 

Does it just have the 1 vol pot and cut out on all pick-ups
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    suspect dry joint, maybe on the volume pot - or dirt on the contacts of the pot - try cleaning the pot with a switch cleaner like Servisol - a quick spray and quickly move the pot from 1-10 a few times to clean 

Does it just have the 1 vol pot and cut out on all pick-ups
    Yeah, one vol one tone and the whole signal dies.