SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD Tokai ES120 (MIJ 335 copy) FS

pottolompottolom Frets: 114
edited September 2017 in Guitars £
2003 Made in Japan Tokai ES120, with a Gator hard case.

I bought this recently, but I am now buying a 'vintage' one, so am looking to move this on.

It has barely and fret wear and hardly a mark on it, looks a few months old rather than 14 years and has obviously barely been played.

Cherry red, with a premium very flamey top and some lovely mineral streaking. 

The ES120 was the higher-grade model back in 2003. You'll need to read up on Tokai model numbers to understand, but the '120' refers to the price in yen, i.e. 120,000 yen, so the equivalent version today is called something like an ES158 as with inflation it's 158,000 yen (!). Or it was the last time I looked, the model numbers may have changed since then.

It's a nice, light one - about 7.5 pounds.

Neck profile is very similar to a 59 Gibson. I haven't got callipers, but with a metal ruler I'd estimate it at about 0.85 inches at the 1st fret, about 1 inch at the twelfth, so much more authentic than most modern Gibson ES335s.

Also has the long 1950s pickguard.

Oh, and it's all-original.

I'd be looking for £750 for it and am not looking for any offers (or trades). New, they're more than twice that, and around £750 seems to be what they go for on here/Gumtree/eBay (I've been looking at these for a while).

I'm in Newcastle upon Tyne and because it's got a set-neck, I'd much rather do cash-on-collection (or I could drive to meet you somewhere within say an hour's radius of me). I could courier if needs be, though.

A couple of pics taken quickly in poor light (I will try to post some better ones in the next few days):

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    That. Is. Fit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pruddprudd Frets: 661
    If I wasnt the very proud owner of an '81 ES100j I would be driving up to Newcastle this weekend cash in hand. i too had a similar 2005 ES120 in Natural and sold it to my brother (who still has it) only to buy the 'vintage' one.
    Whoever buys this will not regret it.
    GLWTS
  • pottolompottolom Frets: 114
    edited September 2017
    Now sold, pending payment.

Thanks for the comment, prudd! It is indeed a rather fantastic guitar.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3869
    Beauty. Similar to mine. Keep us posted on the 'vintage' one. Would love to see it. Love me a Tokai semi.