Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SLUGS IN MY KITCHEN

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30294
    They're homeless snails just looking for shelter. You should be more sympathetic.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    aord43 said:
    Don't deter the spiders, they keep the flies and other insects down.
    I think this is a good point.

For the past couple of years I have been grumbling to myself about the Cat that lives opposite having a poo where it feels like it.
    This week I was forced to reassess my postition when I suddenly noticed the Cat hiding behind a wall......waiting to ambush the grey squirrel which is digging holes in my lawn.

I will probably start saying: It's Nature innit?
    But only when it fits my agenda.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Keep a hedgehog in your kitchen. Not only will you have a cute new friend but also: no more slugs.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    Keep a hedgehog in your kitchen. Not only will you have a cute new friend but also: no more slugs.
    and fleas :)
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I have a long-standing discomfort around slugs, which started when I was about five and my dear departed childhood family cat, Millie, came in on a wet morning with a slug attached to her tail, which she proceeded to drop on my bare foot. I nearly shot through the roof. I hate the fuckers - of everything in the animal kingdom, they are the thing I despise most.

Still to this day, everything about them gives me the fucking heebie-jeebies.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited September 2017
    Moominpapa said:
    Keep a hedgehog in your kitchen. Not only will you have a cute new friend but also: no more slugs
    You will also have salmonella.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    Some good suggestions here. No salt though, don't want to come down in the morning to a big slimy mess on the floor!

I think I found the problem. Pulled out the washing machine and there was an uncovered pipe serving no purpose which was covered in slime. Filled it up with some expanding foam and hopefully that is that.

I feel the exact same as @Bucket about them. They're a stain on nature.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24359
    Oh leave them be...  I have a couple that venture in of an evening.  They seem to like going under the fridge.  I just ignore them.  They're always gone by the morning.  They cause no harm.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Emp_Fab said:
    Oh leave them be...  I have a couple that venture in of an evening.  They seem to like going under the fridge.  I just ignore them.  They're always gone by the morning.  They cause no harm.
    Oh aye, leave 'em. If you like meningitis, which humans can catch from slugs because slugs eat rat poop and then walk all over yer salads.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30294
    Skipped said:
    aord43 said:
    Don't deter the spiders, they keep the flies and other insects down.
    I think this is a good point.

For the past couple of years I have been grumbling to myself about the Cat that lives opposite having a poo where it feels like it.
    This week I was forced to reassess my postition when I suddenly noticed the Cat hiding behind a wall......waiting to ambush the grey squirrel which is digging holes in my lawn.

I will probably start saying: It's Nature innit?
    But only when it fits my agenda.

How do you know the squirrel wasn't removing the cat shit?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28432
    WezV said:
    Slug pellets on the outside, copper tape on the inside if you can 
    Is the copper tape better than that shielding paint stuff?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    We had a slug problem in the kitchen. Mrs A hit freak out mode every time. In all fairness, I only brought one in when she annoyed me.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16731
    edited September 2017
    Sporky said:
    WezV said:
    Slug pellets on the outside, copper tape on the inside if you can 
    Is the copper tape better than that shielding paint stuff?
    I haven't tried shielding paint because it's not copper... but I do have some guitar copper around plant pots in the garden, and some slug copper in a guitar cavity.

I also used some of the copper reactive paint on some plant pots.  I don't think that contains enough copper to work as shielding

• hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    Hate the buggers, I left this plant on the decking overnight (which was in full bloom) and the bastids devoured it.

I've also had them in the kitchen, I found four feasting on the cats food.
  • Ben8010 said:
    Pulled out the washing machine and there was an uncovered pipe serving no purpose which was covered in slime. Filled it up with some expanding foam and hopefully that is that..
    Expanding foam? A.K.A covering them in salt! :)
  • Drew_TNBD said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Oh aye, leave 'em. If you like meningitis, which humans can catch from slugs because slugs eat rat poop and then walk all over yer salads.
    Fucking glad I turned down Emp's invitation to dinner.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    We had the buggers in our kitchen, massive ones. Sometimes three at the same time. eventually found and blocked the holes. 
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Fucking glad I turned down Emp's invitation to dinner.
    I'm not in the habit of keeping salad under the fridge you know!  If the slugs have managed to work out how to open the fridge door then they deserve to live.
    P.S. Chilli...  have you seen the latest forecast?  The biggest hurricane ever is heading right for you.  The forecast is for 5 to 10 feet storm surge and winds in excess of 150mph.

If you're daft enough to try riding it out then at least tell me the house you're in has a cellar ?