PRS custom 22 vs PRS CE vs PRS S2

What's Hot
nickpnickp Frets: 183
@RevMatt  - you wondered what I thought of the PRS necks.  I went to PMT Bristol hoping to find a decent range of PRS guitars to try but failed; sadly it was quite limited.  They had a custom 22, but only a Mira in the S2 range.  Comparing them, the Mira's neck was nowhere near as nice as my sort of reference neck (mitie mite C shape strat neck with jumbo frets and a phenominally high quality finish and fret-dress), and not overly lovely at all - finish was a bit grainy and meh and felt like it.  The full fat custom 22 was nice but was lacking in something - maybe it's the lacquer or whatever on the neck - the profile (pattern thin) was ok to my suprise - much fatter than my son's PRS SE custom 24 and quite comfortable.

The suprise was the last guitar I tried (at the shop geezer's suggestion) the bolt on CE - that was a 24 fret one I think, with a much plainer (so not glossy as buggery, but more oiled neck sorry i'm a guitar construction philistine).  that was a really nice neck :)

soundwise it was hard to tell in the shop running through the fender amp I was using but all of them sounded kinda nice with useful taps on the CE and the interim positions on the custom - wouldn't kick any of them out of bed but i didn't fall in love with the Custom 22 (and certainly not the Mira S2) to the point where I would part with cash for them.

The CE - that's a different question and is quite interesting.   But it does open it up for an Eggle once i've flogged a tad more gear 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I loved my CE22. Still regret selling that one on. The neck was just right in every way and overall the guitar made me play differently. Very plain in terms of what I've bought since but it still is one of my favourites 
  • RevMattRevMatt Frets: 839
    nickp said:

The CE - that's a different question and is quite interesting.   But it does open it up for an Eggle once i've flogged a tad more gear 
    Umm, it would be interesting to see what you think to a Berlin neck - I reckon (given what you've said) you'll like them, and I do still have one for sale ;-) 

I've learnt to like PRS necks but it took some doing and I certainly feel more at home with the Berlin neck.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    My favourite PRS neck is the wide/fat. That with jumbo Fretwire is perfection in a guitar neck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom