Japanese Les Paul types: FGN v Bacchus

What's Hot
I'd be glad of any views on this. I've just ordered an FGN Neo Classic 20 from Thomann, shop-soiled for about £1100. Now just seen a used Bacchus Duke for exactly the same money. Both seem well thought of. I have another 335 style from same stable as Bacchus which is the nicest guitar I own.

should I cancel the FGN (still possible) and get the Bacchus?

I tend to play clean, smooth, Jazz Club style mostly, not high gain, if that helps.  Someone said Edwards (another contender) were better for hard rock/metal, which isn't really my style.  

You need an idea of what you are going to do, but it should be a vague idea.

My feedback page: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/91654/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5449
    edited February 2018
    Magneto (French designed, Japanese built) makes a cool take on an LP too - the Velvet - but they are pushing £3k now. 

As Thomann has a great return policy I'd check the one you ordered out first. FGN is pretty first-class most of the time. 

Random late edit: I’m 99% certain that Bacchus Handmade and Magnetos are made in exactly the same place. 
  • Thanks, Whitecat. I've heard nothing but good about FGN so I'm happy with my choice. I've just been after a Bacchus for a while. 

• Honestly I think that's a lot of money for a used Duke. Mine was £900ish brand new from Japan including postage, vat, customs.. initially I didn't like it much but it's probably my favourite guitar now. £900 is about right I think, they're quite basic but basically perfect. The oil finish makes them quite delicate, mine looks about 20 years old now. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • So I'd say if you like the fgn keep it. You can always order a Bacchus from rakuten for less than 1100
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Having never heard of FGN guitars be Goren I'd be very interested in how you find the guitar because the trans black one on thomann looks stunning. Was hoping to pickup a cheap(er) 2016 standard in the trans black but it never happened, so I find that one serious gas worthy.
  • underdog said:
    Having never heard of FGN guitars be Goren I'd be very interested in how you find the guitar because the trans black one on thomann looks stunning. Was hoping to pickup a cheap(er) 2016 standard in the trans black but it never happened, so I find that one serious gas worthy.
    I had a 2016 standard in trans black. Build quality and playability were fantastic but the top was very poor so I sent it back 

Then spent the money on a classic and a BFG lol
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    underdog said:
    I had a 2016 standard in trans black. Build quality and playability were fantastic but the top was very poor so I sent it back 

Interesting so one with a good top and there should be no worries?

What I really want is a 2016 HP in that finish, so it benefits from the neck joint, and of course the 2nd coolest guitar case known to man.
  • underdog said:
    underdog said:

What I really want is a 2016 HP in that finish, so it benefits from the neck joint, and of course the 2nd coolest guitar case known to man.

You and your cases lol

Yes apart from the top on that particular guitar it was a cracking guitar and I would have bought another but the classic and BFG came up at exactly that moment and at bargain prices 
    underdog said:
    underdog said:

You and your cases lol

Yes apart from the top on that particular guitar it was a cracking guitar and I would have bought another but the classic and BFG came up at exactly that moment and at bargain prices 

The worst part of my case obsession is that I don't even use the cases, my guitars go on a stand then I put the cases away :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdog said:
    FGN is the in-house brand of Fujigen, the company that makes the Prestige range for Ibanez.

http://www.fgnguitars.com/history.html

• Jock68Jock68 Frets: 902
    I have a few Bacchus guitars, but some people do not like the Duke because it is not an openbook headstock, the Bacchus all are.  Never had a FGN but there are a lot of  people out there who like them.  Looking at the Japanese sites you may be able to spend a little more and get a Momose, magic guitars.
    Jock
  • thanks, @Jock68. I have a Seventy Seven ExRubato 'Not Quite Standard' which has Momose pickups in it. Agree about the quality generally. That guitar is just fantastic yet almost completely unknown here.

I'd quite like a Bacchus 'Windy' or 'Surf', their take on a Jazzmaster.