Scalloping

What's Hot
Toying with a refret and a light scallop on my rosewood boarded strat. Good idea? Any advice? Is a light scallop a meal?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    An old bandmate of mine had a strat with a scalloped fretboard - it was an absolute joke to play. He was a bit of a mad shredder but still, he hated it.

• adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    edited September 2017
    The fake malmsteen strat on those usual Chinese websites was something I was considering to buy just to test out what a scalloped neck felt like without spoiling or paying a load of money out. Maybe you could buy a neck only from there to see how it feels 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    One of these days I'm gonna buy a cheap strat neck and scallop it. Just feel like giving it a go
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    adamm82 said:
    The fake malmsteen strat on those usual Chinese websites was something I was considering to buy just to test out what a scalloped neck felt like without spoiling or paying a load of money out. Maybe you could buy a neck only from there to see how it feels 

I tried a proper Malmsteen Strat, it was horrid to play. I suspect you need a microscopically delicate touch to play them with any chance of sounding half-way decent.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• mike_l said:
    adamm82 said:

I tried a proper Malmsteen Strat, it was horrid to play. I suspect you need a microscopically delicate touch to play them with any chance of sounding half-way decent.
    I have a light touch... just wondering if I'd get away with tall fretwire instead of scalloping the board.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7834
    longshins said:
    mike_l said:
    adamm82 said:

I have a light touch... just wondering if I'd get away with tall fretwire instead of scalloping the board.
    That's a better option, in that it is at least reversible if you don't like it.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    When Abe Wechter made McLaughlin''s Shakti guitar nobody in his shop could play it. Malmsteen plays those with 8''s, which must need such an exact touch it's unreal. I would not want to have to play lots of rythm on one. 
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    Had a US Malmsteen, excellent plugged in, a breeze / easy, to play, felt great!  Unforgiving unplugged.
  • Paul_C said:
    longshins said:
    mike_l said:
    adamm82 said:

That's a better option, in that it is at least reversible if you don't like it.
    Might get you to do it actually!
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I spent a few hours with a luthier earlier this year and he was telling me that unless you know exactly what you're doing (practice on several unwanted necks again and again and again) then you'll probably ruin a guitar and make it unplayable.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    longshins said:
    mike_l said:
    adamm82 said:

I can play taller frets, I can't (certainly couldn't at the time) play a scalloped board.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• I have a Malmsteen strat - it can feel a bit odd but I don't have trouble playing it. That said, I haven't tried to play jazz chords on it for hours at a time!

the frets are smaller than most of my other guitars so that may be part of the way it remains playable?
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7834
    edited September 2017
    axisus said:
    One of these days I'm gonna buy a cheap strat neck and scallop it. Just feel like giving it a go
    I've done a couple over the years, and a few where I did the last few frets - my method is to have a depth gauge to sit on top of the frets (half a small wooden dowel stuck to a bit of MDF) file down the middle with a round file until it's the right depth and then blend up to nearly the edge of the frets (to leave some wood in case of a refret).

httpwwwarrowheadguitarscoukpicsscallopjpg

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • I've had a warmoth neck with jumbo frets and a scalloped neck and it was very playable. But, I personally don't feel it's that much better than having just 6000 size frets. I'd rather my fingertips touch the fretboard about never, and have a very light touch, but it didn't really effect me other than the top four or five frets where bending was a lot easier.
    I think a scalloped board encourages you to play lighter, which in turn could possibly manifest as improved technique/speed?
    Personally, I wouldn't bother again, i'd get the biggest stainless steel frets possible and maybe from 17-the top scalloped a la Vai.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11626
    tFB Trader
    A couple of my own guitars are scalloped from the 13th or 14th fret and higher.
    Just enough to be able to get more fingertip behind the bends and make vibrato easier
    Scalloped below the 12th fret does require a deft playing touch

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    flyingv said:
    Had a US Malmsteen, excellent plugged in, a breeze / easy, to play, felt great!  Unforgiving unplugged.
    Interesting. My one quick try of a Malmsteen strat was unplugged when Coda had one in a few years back. I just didn't feel it at the time but now I want to try one plugged in. 

I mostly like a pretty physical, dig in style of play these days, but I do go very light tough in widdlesome moments.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10605
    tFB Trader
    Strangely for an old traditionalist in my own playing and the guitars I like, I love scalloping above the 12th. I sweat a lot at gigs, and have been known to 'loose control' of high bends ... I've played and gigged with the odd guitar that's got high end scallops, and I found it very useful.   
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    Scalloping is an intensely personal modification and depends on playing style and depth of scallop. Although scalloping suits a small minority, for the vast majority of players it is not suitable.  

NEVER scallop your fretboard because you think its 'fashionable' (which it isn't) or just 'seems like a good idea' which it usually isn't, and don't try scalloping yourself unless you really know what you are doing. You could ruin your guitar.

ALWAYS try different scalloped necks first, and with different depths. And unless you have prerequisite luthoring skills, always go to a professional luthior who can see see how you play and to agree scallop depth that suits you.

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)