Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Burtstbucker 1 and 2

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• rossirossi Frets: 1703
    edited September 2017
    I have  a pair in my MIdtown .I cant see many  pickups sounding better.Of course a twiddle on the amp will, I gather  ,alter their tone somewhat .I play jazz ,blues rock and country .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossi said:
    i have  a pair in my MIdtown .I cant see many  pickups sounding better.Of course a twiddle on the amp will, I gather  ,alter their tone somewhat .I play jazz ,blues rock and country

I play similar styles.  I've just installed some Grover's (removing the Gforce) and gone up to 11's.  With a bit of a set up I'll see how I get on with them again.  I'll also check heights etc.....
  • OX4's ;)
    +1
  • I had them in my 09 r7 and it was hot and muddy. Not in a nice way to me... lots of mid range punch but no articulation.

Went for Monty's PAFs on the end which are less hot but have more detail.

There are a gazillion options as has alreafy been stated

• BBs in a Midtown are great !  Of course it's subjective but I have a set of BKP Mules and prefer the stock BBs by far.  I've tried a bunch of other Gibson pickups and don't really like any of them but BBs in a Midtown... Gibson knocked it out the park with that combo
  • I had them in my 09 r7 and it was hot and muddy. Not in a nice way to me... lots of mid range punch but no articulation.

Went for Monty's PAFs on the end which are less hot but have more detail.

There are a gazillion options as has alreafy been stated

I have a pair of monty's in mine too. Not hot but sometimes they certainly sound like they are 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4705

Update, ended up getting a pair of Mojo PAF's from @strat84

First of all, it' a bit of a faf messing about in a Midtown.  I was having second thoughts at one point, the space is very restricted under the back cover so most of the electronics need to come out.  It's not like a Les Paul, wood restrics part of the cavity so you see wood rather than the back of the control plate through the F hole.  This makes soldering on the back of the treble volume impossible.

Anyway, I'm liking the Mojo's.  It's not night and day difference and it could be the A4 but they are a little clearer on first listen.  Very nice clean, perhaps a little more to them than the BB's but it's hard to say as heights will have changed a little.
    Not tried much volume or gain yet, the guitar needs a setup so strings are back off for now.

I'll post a clip soon for anybody who is interested.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    I have a Midtown with BBs and I think its fine as it is . I play jazz and blues and a bit of country and the BB's cover it all just fine . Perhaps I have better amps  or playing style . ;-)My 2015  was perfect out of the box and I do love  a low buzz free action .Even the robo tuner works .Perhaps Henry allowed it through by mistake  .
    rossi said:
    I have a Midtown with BBs and I think its fine as it is . I play jazz and blues and a bit of country and the BB's cover it all just fine . Perhaps I have better amps  or playing style . ;-)My 2015  was perfect out of the box and I do love  a low buzz free action .Even the robo tuner works .Perhaps Henry allowed it through by mistake  .
    Yeah they are nice, I got some good sounds out of mine, also did quite a few gigs. I’d decided to keep them actually, but then I saw the Mojo’s for sale and though, why not?

They definitely were fine, but like when I say to my missus, ‘you look fine’ she says, ‘I don’t want to look fine, I want to look lovely’ .  

First impression is the Mojo’s are lovely  ;)

rossi said:
    Even the robo tuner works .
    I would have kept mine, but struggled with it live.  Ther were a few times when I was playing in a soul/funk band and the tuners took too long between songs.  That band launched quickly into each song so I switched to grover’s and a polytune for speed.
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    http://thedougandpatshow.com/chasing-oscar/

Makes for interesting listening, I thought at the time.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Who's Burt?
    bodhi said:

Yes but it’s never the same listening to a load of clips.  I always think the subtle differences between pickups are best experienced by playing them in your guitar.  It’s about the way they respond to your guitar and your playing, as much as anything. 

And the differences are subtle.  But subtle can make the difference.
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    edited March 2018
    bodhi said:

Yes but it’s never the same listening to a load of clips.  I always think the subtle differences between pickups are best experienced by playing them in your guitar.  It’s about the way they respond to your guitar and your playing, as much as anything. 

And the differences are subtle.  But subtle can make the difference.
    True, but surely the average person is likely to want to identify possible candidates in some way other than buying 30 sets to try out in person.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    bodhi said:
    True, but surely the average person is likely to want to identify possible candidates in some way other than buying 30 sets to try out in person.
    Or get Johan Segeborn to road test ‘em for ya :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer