Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is there any guide to which high-quality contemporary books are suitable for specific age groups?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Currently £38.44 on Kindle for the six. They all seem a bit pretentious though, not really my thing!

I'd recommend a Kindle Paperwhite though, perfect device for reading in bed, and being able to read samples of books for free (the first chapter or two) is a great way to try things.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    edited September 2017
    Yeah, reading samples is what I do. The sample size varies from book to book (Dostoyevsky's 'The Idiot' sample is longer than most books) but majority of the time I get a good grasp of whether I'd like it or not. Hell, 95% of the books I read full stop I know after about a dozen pages or so whether it's for me or not.

Also, get them to read Bukowski.
  • Currently £38.44 on Kindle for the six. They all seem a bit pretentious though, not really my thing!

I'd recommend a Kindle Paperwhite though, perfect device for reading in bed, and being able to read samples of books for free (the first chapter or two) is a great way to try things.
    good point, I have a paperwhite, trying to get into using it
  • fobfob Frets: 1431
    I mentioned the Diary of Anne Frank, earlier in the thread, as an example of one of the 'classics' that could be looked at. As I've got a an imminent trip to Amsterdam, I thought I'd re-read it myself - it's just stunning. I'd read it when I was at school, of course, and remembered it as being good, but reading it as an adult really has brought home just how good. I wouldn't be able to write that well or honestly, even now, let alone when I was 13. Chances are your daughter has already read it but, if not, very highly recommended.
  • fob said:
    I mentioned the Diary of Anne Frank, earlier in the thread, as an example of one of the 'classics' that could be looked at. As I've got a an imminent trip to Amsterdam, I thought I'd re-read it myself - it's just stunning. I'd read it when I was at school, of course, and remembered it as being good, but reading it as an adult really has brought home just how good. I wouldn't be able to write that well or honestly, even now, let alone when I was 13. Chances are your daughter has already read it but, if not, very highly recommended.
    yes, she wanted to visit Amsterdam this summer for that reason, and concentration camps too
    I took her round the Jewish memorials and synagogues in the Prague Jewish quarter
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    tFB Trader
    Have a look at Audible they have very big selection of young adult books covering most ages 13 upwards, you can also have a listen to each book to give you an idea what it's all about. Try The Magician's Guild Trilogy by Trudi Canavan far better then Harry Potter, if she likes that there is a second Trilogy.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/