Recommended amps

What's Hot
notanonnotanon Frets: 610
Hi All,

I have IMO some nice guitars now. So, . . . what about amps. I have a Marshall MG100FX. I also use a zoom G5 I think is awesome but I admit to being naive, I am to learn :-) . If I were to upgrade what would you recommend for an amp? OK, here is the hard part I would like an amp/combo that is about the 30 inch mark with respect to width and height. Sounds? Floyd, Blues, Beatles,  . . .  yep I reached that age :-)

Regards to all ya kindly TFB folk!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• How loud do you need it to be?  

I’d recommend a good Vox AC15, or a point to point 5E3.  

Best bang for you buck, Gibson GA15.  Love mine, good headroom, can get nice and dirty, loves pedals, sounds great through a 2x12 cab.  Sits between Fender Blackface and Vox.  Probably more Voxy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Price limit, valve or solid state, home playing or gigging?
    There are a million amps that would do but you have to narrow it down a bit.
    Personally I'd go for a Fender Princeton Reverb or a Carr Rambler simply because they're the sound I like. Try loads and let your ears decide.
    Not much help I realise.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    I think after a certain price point there isn't any bad amps, there are just different flavours.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    30" wide and high is huge - it's about the size of a 4x12" - that's going to limit you to a Fender Quad Reverb or something if it must be a combo.

Either that or get a 4x12" and a mini-head...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• My missus says after a while you stop searching based on size and start looking for reliability and depth of character. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AC15 should definitely be on your list.  Try both the standard and the 'X' model with its Blue speaker.
  • What do you need it for? Bedroom jams or gigs?

Marshall's or Vox should get you in the right ball park 
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I think after a certain price point there isn't any bad amps, there are just different flavours.  
    Agreed.