Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Whatever Happened to Hamer?

What's Hot

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader
    xtrouble said:
    I've got an Hamer sustainiac Chaparral and it's the best guitar I've ever played. Well worth picking up if you can find one.
    Very tasty!

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep, his brother :)
    Hmmm this sounds familiar.....
    Yeah, me too - wasn't it unwarranted spelling outrage plus venom on my part?
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader
    Yep, his brother :)
    ok guys - clue us all in on what's so familiar

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Interesting thread.I played a few of the old USA Hamers very nice guitars.
  • I have few of them and think they are just brilliant. Anything I want in a guitar. 

Does anyone have any experience with the basses? 
    Ah, probably this thread I started a while back...

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/109829/ ;

• revsorgrevsorg Frets: 884
    I got my Hamer in 1981, responded to a classified ad in Sounds.  Serial number 0253 - I asked Kaman about it in 2003 and they said it was completed on November 21, 1979.  I swapped the bridge pickup to a Pearly Gates in the 80's after I unsatisfactorily wax potted the Di Marzio PAF.  Still got the original bridge but I prefer the sound of the TP6.  It's the guitar I really connect with, feels like electricity is passing between it and my fingers when I'm at my best.  It took me literally 20 years to come to terms with the ding just above the bridge.

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lewismlewism Frets: 250
    Wow, the 4 digit Standards are seriously rare, especially in the UK! I think they were actually made separately to the normal production models on a pretty much custom order basis by (I think) Tom Holmes so no two are really identical and they stopped doing them in the mid 1980s - the Standards that they reintroduced in the 90's were more of a regular production guitar.  That's a beautiful example of what Hamer did best in showing the bigger companies what could be done if they really tried to make a great guitar!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    And because threads like this can't have enough pictures, even if they don't do the guitar justice, here's my 2007 Newport:
    https://i.imgur.com/QWdsSMh.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I can never remember the score with 4 digits.. Here is a useful link: 

https://www.hamerfanclub.com/about.html ;

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23030
    revsorg said:
    I got my Hamer in 1981, responded to a classified ad in Sounds.  Serial number 0253 - I asked Kaman about it in 2003 and they said it was completed on November 21, 1979.  

I can't compete with that, but I got my 1980(?) Special in January 1982, also from a small ad in the back of Sounds. 

I'm afraid it's not in lovely playable condition like your Standard, but it is exactly the same colour.  Whoever they got to spray those sunbursts was remarkably consistent.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have always lusted after a Talledega...

Unfortunately, I've never even seen one in the flesh - let alone played one...  :'(

Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Back on topic, I had no idea the guy from The Misfits was involved in Hamer?!?!
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14325
    tFB Trader
    I have always lusted after a Talledega...

Unfortunately, I've never even seen one in the flesh - let alone played one...  :'(

I sold 2 and I believe at the time they were the only 2 to arrive in the UK - I somehow recall at the time that 4 were on the USA inventory and I ordered 2 of them - very few existed
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23030
    Yep, his brother :)

Back on topic, I had no idea the guy from The Misfits was involved in Hamer?!?!
    It's his brother.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    think he's joking about Jol Dantzig who is, as far as I'm aware, not related to Glenn Danzig.
  • I think it's was a Talladega that I spent a very pleasant hour or two playing in Marks shop. However, from memory the pickups were unique - sort of a Tele meets P90 hybrid in a PAF sized case. Not at all like the pickups in the picture above. As with everything in Marks shop it was a lovely guitar, but I think something else ultimately caught my eye. It's a shame that Hamer no longer really exists, as with the right support and promotion they could have been a real force. 
    Some Talladegas had pickups specifically designed for them by Seymour Duncan. The SD Phat Cat was also originally designed for the Hamer Newport. Can't think of many other guitar companies that had that sort of relationship.
  • lewism said:
    think he's joking about Jol Dantzig who is, as far as I'm aware, not related to Glenn Danzig.
    Yeah it was a nod to the spelling hilarity from the other thread......
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    lewism said:
    And because threads like this can't have enough pictures, even if they don't do the guitar justice, here's my 2007 Newport:
    https://i.imgur.com/QWdsSMh.jpg
    That's the one I always wanted! Came close to taking a chance on importing one from the USA but decided not to risk it as I'd never seen one in the flesh, let alone played one.

I believe they're pretty much hollow, the body being routed out just leaving some kind of "sustain block" under the bridge?

I've always liked the idea of a guitar that's slightly more hollow than an ES335 but not quite the full ES330, if that makes any sense. I suppose the "routed solid body" construction makes it it's own thing anyway. I'm guessing the phat cat P90s in that sound great too.

As a long term Jethro Tull fan, I always liked Martin Barre's Hamers and, by association, they seem to have that "thinking man's Gibson" association for me. Have only tried a couple (the doublecut customs) and liked them a lot. Wish there were more around.