Any mods to make an ac15 play nicely with a big muff

What's Hot
wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
My amp has to go in for service can anyone point me in the direction of any mods, that will allow it to play nicely with a big muff?. (Top boost channel)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I find my AC15 a bit fussy with overdrive pedals.  Fulltone OCD is my choice.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636

Forgive my ignorance but which of the many schematics is it and what is the problem ?

Dave.

• http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/109796/ac15-help#latest No idea of the model there's no normal channel. I use the big muff a lot, it does something weird to the vox, in the mid range. I was just wondering whether I could get him to clip a cap or something while he was in there.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1379
    Mod the big muff instead. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
    Only problem I've came across with big muff and vox (albeit 30-watters...) is not having enough clean headroom to get unity volume or a volume boost vs the bypass sound in a band mix - because the pedal's so scooped. Run it into a low headroom amp and all the bass eats up the headroom so you get a mushy, whooomphy sound with no punch that's no good to anyone, with a bit of harsh treble on top if you're lucky.

Big muffs like clean headroom, and especially clean bass.

So my suggestion for a mod would be, turn the amp down for more headroom, get a different amp, or get a different pedal.
  • This explains why my russian muff sounds SO huge through my Laney AOL 100w, masses of clean headroom and bass. Sounds Godly...
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    Assuming it has a normal 100k/250pf cap in the tone stack your amp tech could change it to a 56k/500pf cap for mod low and high mids, will would work better with the big muff, but then it won't be a VOX anymore.

but without a schematic to look at who really knows, the AC15's of today are not the AC15's of yesterday
  • Cirrus said:
    Only problem I've came across with big muff and vox (albeit 30-watters...) is not having enough clean headroom to get unity volume or a volume boost vs the bypass sound in a band mix - because the pedal's so scooped. Run it into a low headroom amp and all the bass eats up the headroom so you get a mushy, whooomphy sound with no punch that's no good to anyone, with a bit of harsh treble on top if you're lucky.

Big muffs like clean headroom, and especially clean bass.

So my suggestion for a mod would be, turn the amp down for more headroom, get a different amp, or get a different pedal.
    Agree with Cirrus.

I love both Big Muffs and AC30s but I didn't find they played that well together when I had both.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636

I doubt if it is early enough but I see some AC xx's have an EF86 front end? If that IS the case the valve will overload very quickly.

Dave.

• You probably need too get some more miss out of the muff. Try a clean boost before it, or mod it to get rid of the massive scoop.

or just buy a Rat
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • No. Don't bother.

Buy a zoom ultra fuzz if you want an awesome fuzz that plays well, but muffs don't play with ac15.

Which is a massive shame as my favourite pedal has two muff circuits inside... 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Modding an amp to play nicely with a pedal seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face.
    I'd try to find a pedal that plays nicely with the amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • What fuzz pedal works well with an AC15 then? Mine is a mid-90s Marshall-built AC15.
  • I have a couple of ac30s and they are picky about overdrives, distortion, muffs.  I get best results from a hybrid boost/od to push the amp harder.... tubescreamers and muffs somehow make the amp sound less.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6189
    tFB Trader
    The fallout cloud plays nicely with both an AC15 and an AC30. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com