Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Quiet enough for home but loud enough for jams.

What's Hot

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10700
    A Carvin Legacy 100W head and two 4x12 cabs loaded with V30s. You can ask your relatives to look after it. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • viz said:
    A Carvin Legacy 100W head and two 4x12 cabs loaded with V30s. You can ask your relatives to look after it. 
    I could leave that set up in Rugby and the sound level might be OK in Bristol.......
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited September 2017
    My Code 25 would handle a small jam but I don't know about getting above a decent competent drummer because I've never tried to yet.
    A speaker change improves the sound because it's a guitar speaker they fitted so the same rules apply when upgrading speakers. 

I can't believe that much sound comes from something so small.

Best amp I've owned in years.
    If you can't get a really good sound out of one, you haven't set it right.
    the depth for modelling and shaping sound is huge.

I want a second one to run in stereo with two different amp models and two different speakers.

They're £150 FFS.

The best value home and small gig amp I've ever had.
    If I was playing bigger places I'd just buy a 50w.

I run my GT100 into mine and balance the effects and amp models between them.
    2CM is nice and easy and the sounds of both are (To my ears) Amazing.

You could both for £500 new.
    I did.

I'm happier with this set up than any other I've ever owned or played through. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    TADodger said:
    ICBM said:
    The ZT Lunchbox probably has the highest volume/size ratio. I found the single tone control too limiting though. The painted MDF cabinet also chips very easily at the corners, if that matters to you.

I haven't tried the Jr, but on the bigger one the 'Ambience' control (which is not 'reverb' in the usual sense but adds an impression of space) makes a huge difference to the quality of the tone, so as the Jr doesn't have that it's a major disadvantage.
    How is the ZT at low volumes?
    I gigged the ZT Lunchbox for a few months (loud band - 2 guitars, drums and bass) and found the little speaker was a touch limiting. Stick it through a 1x12 or 2x12 cab and its insane, though.

Low volumes its fine - especially if you are using pedals. Plus it records brilliantly... check this out (not me):

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Alnico said:
    My Code 25 would handle a small jam but I don't know about getting above a decent competent drummer because I've never tried to yet.
    A speaker change improves the sound because it's a guitar speaker they fitted so the same rules apply when upgrading speakers. 

I want a second one to run in stereo with two different amp models and two different speakers.

They're £150 FFS.

I did.

@Alnico - thanks, this is very helpful. Have you changed the speaker in yours?
  • @impmann - that does sound good, thanks for the information.
    TADodger said:
    Alnico said:

They're £150 FFS.

I did.

@Alnico - thanks, this is very helpful. Have you changed the speaker in yours?
    Not yet but I have heard a friend's CODE 25 in person which had a Celestion Gold 10" speaker fitted and it was VERY much better. He couldn't remember which exact model but he said it's the 10" Version of a V30........"Vintage.......Something" ........
    Half volume in a biggish room and WOW.
    It did make a huge difference and I would imagine a more efficient speaker would also help with max percieved volume.

As far as I can remember though, these amps are 4ohm and so the speaker has to be. There doesn't seem to be as many 4ohm speakers about as 8 and 16ohm and my friend said he didn't have a huge choice but he's happy with it.

A decent model used speaker in good condition would be a no brainer for me.
  • Thanks @Alnico at the other end of the scale, how is it at low volumes?
    TADodger said:
    Thanks @Alnico at the other end of the scale, how is it at low volumes?
    I'll say this now, I AM Biased here because it's been nothing but impressive to me since I first switched it on, in terms of sound anyway.

Low volume with drive sounds the way you'd expect.
    As it's digital and they've fitted a nice volume pot it works well and goes low while still being audible BUT no amp will give you the same tone as it will at volume, I'm a very big believer in turning the fucker up to hear it properly but then again I've lost some of my hearing due to doing that so it's horses for courses.
    Clean and low is gorgeous.
    Get it just loud enough that you can't hear the strings acoustically and it's lovely.
    The effects are good but they're just not as good as the GT100 when it comes to tweaking. That said, delay from the GT into a delay on the amp and you're into days worth of discovery and the Looper on the GT adds another dimension.
    Modulation sounds great clean, reverb isn't washy, honestly, I just can't fault it.

I spent 7 times that amount on a Deville and wasn't this impressed.

Oh and it weighs nothing (12kg I think, maybe 10?) and it's just tiny............until you switch it on.

It's only a matter of time before my friend the amp tech will modify it (or them) to have a speaker out (Somehow.........he'll know how) and then into a nicely loaded 4 x 12.........

I cannot fucking wait to hear that, especially in stereo.

A 50w CODE will fill any gig solution and again is SO light but sounds huge. any 12" guitar speaker will improve or change the sound one way or another and with 99 user presets available, for any pub/club gig I'd just go to the amp and use the MS footswitch and patch number next to songs.

I haven't been this impressed with Marshall in years.

And black and gold just looks fucking cool.
    Always will.

Now if they'd just sort out that 20w JCM800 AND build it properly to @ICBM 's approval (THIS should actually be a thing and should be much more widely implemented by ALL guitar and Bass amp Manufacturers.........and NASA !!!),..... the world would be a great place.
    :)
  • Alnico said:
    TADodger said:
    Thanks @Alnico at the other end of the scale, how is it at low volumes?
    I'll say this now, I AM Biased here because it's been nothing but impressive to me since I first switched it on, in terms of sound anyway.

Low volume with drive sounds the way you'd expect.
    As it's digital and they've fitted a nice volume pot it works well and goes low while still being audible BUT no amp will give you the same tone as it will at volume, I'm a very big believer in turning the fucker up to hear it properly but then again I've lost some of my hearing due to doing that so it's horses for courses.
    Clean and low is gorgeous.
    Get it just loud enough that you can't hear the strings acoustically and it's lovely.
    The effects are good but they're just not as good as the GT100 when it comes to tweaking. That said, delay from the GT into a delay on the amp and you're into days worth of discovery and the Looper on the GT adds another dimension.
    Modulation sounds great clean, reverb isn't washy, honestly, I just can't fault it.

I spent 7 times that amount on a Deville and wasn't this impressed.

Oh and it weighs nothing (12kg I think, maybe 10?) and it's just tiny............until you switch it on.

It's only a matter of time before my friend the amp tech will modify it (or them) to have a speaker out (Somehow.........he'll know how) and then into a nicely loaded 4 x 12.........

I cannot fucking wait to hear that, especially in stereo.

A 50w CODE will fill any gig solution and again is SO light but sounds huge. any 12" guitar speaker will improve or change the sound one way or another and with 99 user presets available, for any pub/club gig I'd just go to the amp and use the MS footswitch and patch number next to songs.

I haven't been this impressed with Marshall in years.

And black and gold just looks fucking cool.
    Always will.

Now if they'd just sort out that 20w JCM800 AND build it properly to @ICBM 's approval (THIS should actually be a thing and should be much more widely implemented by ALL guitar and Bass amp Manufacturers.........and NASA !!!),..... the world would be a great place.
    :)
    Thanks again Mark, you should on Marshall's payroll  :). So far I am liking the DV Mark, ZT and the Code 25. The Code also has the benefit of not needing pedals and it is half the price and inside my target budget. 
    Oh believe me, I haven't said those words about a new Marshall product since the 80's.
    I'm a fan of THIS amp and a few others and that's it.

They Have done well with this one though.
  • TADodger said:

The DV Mark Jazz is a really nice tiny amp, not just for Jazz, would be great for blues as well, but would need a pedal for any gainier styles.

Both the Mark Jazz and the, even smaller, Little Jazz sound great clean. With a pedal the Little Jazz could be an option.
    Ah yes, it was the Little Jazz I tried.  Sounded great.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2902
    edited February 2018
    @Alnico it's great to hear from someone in the real world enjoying their Code. Have to admit I've been tempted to get a 50 to try in stereo with my jubilee!

TTBZ said:
    @Alnico it's great to hear from someone in the real world enjoying their Code. Have to admit I've been tempted to get a 50 to try in stereo with my jubilee!

We have a series of artist videos coming out soon, some of which I've been really amazed with some of the tones they've been getting! I've not been fully involved with all of them (the ones that are better quality are when I joined the company ) but the most recent 2 with session guitarists are incredible - can't wait for them to go live so we can show off how good the code can sound in the right hands!
    Me Too and thanks.
    Would you PM me details when that happens please?
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Tone king falcon. Seriously good attenuator for home. Should be loud enough for jam. And it's awesome. One in classifieds now for 1k
  • Alnico said:
    Just subscribe to their YouTube channel :)

Another happy CODE user here. My 50 has been serving me well every week for over a year now :) I'm looking forward to seeing the artist videos :)
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    Plectrum said:
    Alnico said:
    Just subscribe to their YouTube channel :)

Another happy CODE user here. My 50 has been serving me well every week for over a year now :) I'm looking forward to seeing the artist videos :)
    I'll do that,

Thanks.
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    edited September 2017
    Right, I have ordered a Code 25. It seems to be the right combination of size and output for what I want and I am looking forward to seeing if I can reproduce both clean-ish and drive tones that I like without pedals. Assuming that I can, I will be taking it along to the Northampton Jam to see how it holds up.

Oh, and I want to see the Artist videos too now!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2902
    edited October 2017
    Fwiw the new CODE demo vid went up the other day The purple plexi preset (a new one that i believe is included in a new firmware update) is my favourite on this video - cleans up nicely!

• PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    That Purple Plexi preset was demo'd a lot on the pre-release 50s.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.