Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

'A resonant body gives good sustain'. Another myth?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10586
    tFB Trader
    Cirrus said:
    Evilmags said:
    The answer is really simple physics. The louder the amp the more difference in sustain in a resonant guitar. (Accoustic/335/Tele). Assuming the same hardware a light resonant bit of wood will suck more energy from the strings than heavy non resonant stuff. As you increase volume the more resonant wood will transmit more vibrations to the string and resonate more.  Things that dissipate energy, like springs, shit bridges, poor joins, glue, thick finishes ect also contribute to resonance. 
    Yeah, this is it. I was thinking about it in the shower earlier  =) It's the symbiosis between the guitar and amp together that make a loud electric guitar feel alive in your hands - It's a feedback loop (sometimes literally)
    The 'sound train' is like the drive train in a car ... everything matters ... and I'm a firm believer that the 'electric guitar sound' is guitar plus amp. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited September 2017
    impmann said:
    "Yes, because heavy guitars sustain so much better and sound better. And sound 'bigger'."

Myth.

As anyone who picked up my Les Paul at the Jam will tell you, it weighs next to nothing, it is wonderfully resonant and sounds huge.

Its not hard and fast as a rule.
    But does it have masses of low end? 

I used to own a lightweight Les Paul & the big issue tonally was that it didn't have anywhere near the low end of others I tried that were all heavier. So I sold it on. Same with chambered guitars. I can always hear a distinct absence of low end. There may be the odd one that breaks that rule. But I've never played one. 

• that's a very bad speech
    He sounds as vague as Dumble
  • I had an all-maple Yamaha Superflighter once
    Humbuckers, the most nasal thin guitar I ever played

I tried overwound Kinmans (my choice became the Woodstock set) my mahogany bodied strat: far too dark, I had to replace them with brighter pickups
  • What  is missing here is context does Nile Rodgers want endless sustain.
    does Santana want quack and spank.

there 100's of guitars All do a different job for different people.

As my reading of physics goes the best sustain is 2 x cubic metre block of granite with a single string tuned across them

the rest of the stuff in a guitar context is a subtractive process and it the bits taken away we like not the string stretched between the granite blocks

so effectivel a neck of x dampens or removes certain frequencies a body of y removes other parts.

endless sustain for most guitarists is santana or a Gary Moore cover down the dog and gynocologist. All feedback not sustain.

• notanonnotanon Frets: 610
    +1 for @Evilmags and then comes the factor of resonant frequency. Play a note at 10Hz and my 'beer barrel' will wobble all day long. 440Hz I'm okay.

This ain't a yes/no, rather more/less.

When does the damper become the positive feedback and ring? An analogy is: to test if wood is seasoned and ready to burn then bang two pieces together. A thud, it ain't seasoned. A clink the wood is good to burn. Even cast iron can oscillate - amazing really.

Best visual representation of this is to Google Slader waves in sand - awesome!

A guitar body, even a solid is going to contribute to the oscillations. The same brand can't offer real consistency - unless they by all the same wood from the same location in the same year (denseness of the wood, the rings) will fluctuate but, . . . they could be consistent at identifying what makes a good guitar?!?
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    unless you are playing so loud that you are setting up a feedback loop
    Well that very thing is one of the cornerstones of electric guitar music.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3637
    Regarding sustain, it was the king in the early '70's.

Remember all of those aftermarket brass nuts, bridges etc that were all the rage because of the extra sustain? Some makers even stuck lumps of brass in the body.

Wonder where they all went?  ;)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Neil said:

Remember all of those aftermarket brass nuts, bridges etc that were all the rage because of the extra sustain? Some makers even stuck lumps of brass in the body.

It wasn't a sustainable industry.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33825
    OP: Define 'resonant' and I'll respond.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Bucket said:
    I'm not fussed about sustain. I just know that when I pick up a guitar and I can feel the body resonating when I play it, I always know I'm going to enjoy playing it.
    This post has already received 5 Wisdoms.

If the current owners of the  Gibson brand were listening to their customers, surely they would not have waited 20 years to produce a Historic Les Paul which does not have a plastic sheath wrapped around the truss rod?

• GassageGassage Frets: 30939

When I was a kid I'd ask both parents the same question and if I didn't get the answer I was looking for I'd rephrase it time and time again to illicit the answer I wanted.

Weird how this happens on forums too.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• octatonic said:

I'll have a go.

Guitar vibrates nicely to any of E, G, A, and D notes.  Since those are the keys people play in.
  • Neil said:

An obvious question. Did all that brass actually add to the sustain of the instrument? Also, in the light of what has already been said, if it did was that extra sustain apparent when playing quietly or only when playing loudly enough to set up a feedback loop?
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 214
    I think the concept of "resonance" as discussed in an intuitive way by musicians is not always the same thing that physicists or engineers would use the word to mean.  That can make these threads a bit pointless, as I'm not sure everyone is talking about the same thing.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30939
    Neil said:

An obvious question. Did all that brass actually add to the sustain of the instrument?

If I could find a brass that could make my instrument sustain, I'd not be with Alistair. Fact.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33825
    octatonic said:

I'll have a go.

Guitar vibrates nicely to any of E, G, A, and D notes.  Since those are the keys people play in.
    Not the OP though. :)
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Resonance to me is where the fundamental frequency of a thing oscillates in unison with an input source.

Same principle as finding the fundamental on an EQ - dime the gain, have a very tight Q value, and sweep the range until the EQ 'rings' very loudly and harshly... then dial the gain back down and widen the Q a little bit, and either boost or scoop depending on if you want more of that frequency or less.

But I think guitars are probably a bit more complex than a simple subtractive passive EQ circuit.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2592
    tFB Trader
    I played a aluminum body/neck guitar through one of my amps at last years guitar show, sustain for days at low volume and very clear, very bright though, but that can easily be sorted with a treble bleed cap. If I had the money I would have bought one as they played great. Cant remember the company but hoping they will be at the show again this year
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    what the ancient Greeks didn't know about guitar manufacture ain't worth Jack...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>