Reverb - Supernatural or..?

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27020
Continuing my board re-build, I'm turning to reverbs. The Supernatural is my obvious choice, but apparently they've already discontinued it, which seems a bit bizarre for a pedal so highly praised a couple of years ago. 

Is there anything else worth looking at. I'm very keen to have something that can do swirly ambient type stuff as well as your normal plate/hall/spring. 

I don't want TC for their switches, and (much as I'm sure I'd love éither ) I don't want anything as physically big as a Big Sky or an Empress.

I'm aware of the Polara, Boss RV6 and the Neunaber stuff. Is there anything else worth looking at? 
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The MXR Reverb is definitely worth your time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5503
    I've got a Supernatural. The other pedal being talked about when I bought it was the EHX Cathedral but that's a larger footprint so no good.
    I reckon you either go Polara or used Supernatural.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Definitely look at the MXR reverb. The RV6 is a possibility, but I wouldn't say the Polara is in the same territory - it's more of a general verb pedal and doesn't do the whole 'ambient guitarist' thing at all really.

Strymon Blue Sky is smaller than the Big Sky, might be worth a look?

I *think* the switches on the HoF2 pedal are improved over the original because they've implemented the MASH technology, which would require better switches as far as I can tell. So it might be worth a look - 3 toneprint slots on that thing looks amazing too!

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    The new Mr Black Supermoon Chrome Eclipse may be of interest. Out in October though I believe.

• Would the Flint be worth a look as it's two pedals in one, so might potentially save space?
  • The Polara is excellent at "normal" verbs (the plate mode is beautiful) but only really dabbles in the ambient side.

If you want to go full Ambient then the Supernatural is probably better. 

I had both but ditched them in favour of a Juansolo Tenebrion which is pretty unique---I didn't need the normal sounds of the Polara and I prefer the weirdness of the Tenebrion to that of the Supernatural. 
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    Matthews FX do a handful of verbs that can be tasteful or big and ambient. Also the Hungry Robot reverbs are nice.
  • Zoom ms 70cdr. Has  the line6 particle  verb,ice delay ,some  really great shimmer and ambient type stuff  ;) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MXR is amazing!  I have a Boss RV-5, which I will sell to you so I will, if you want it.  Let me know sure. 
  • For the money the Polara is hard to beat.  But I'll give another shout out to the Strymon Flint, costly but worth it.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Mr Black Eterna is the only reverb I ever need.  Preferred it so much more than the BlueSky  I used to own
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    edited September 2017
    I'm not really a reverb user so I've gone back to my Digitech Hardwire Reverb, just for familiarity really. So my nice new Polara is available in its box for £85 ppg posted Next Day Signed For, if that sways you.

Reading this thread just kicked my arse to sell one this weekend!
  • I reckon Ive owned and tried most...

1) Big Sky - the best and does the lot

2.) Polara - vastly underrated 

3.) Talisman - less versatile but one of the best

As ever, ymmv