Hiscox Artist cases - worth the extra?

What's Hot
I have a few acoustic shows coming up abroad, and the chances are the guitars will end up in the hold, so I want sturdier casses than the ones they came in.

The Hiscox Artist cases are more than double the price of the Pro Series, and almost three times the price of the Standard ones. I have Pro Series cases for my 335s - anyone here have any experience of the Artist ones?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have no idea, but this is relevant to my interests. Hopefully someone will know! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    No Idea but the standard cases are excellent. What are the differences in spec?
  • I've got one, and I've got one of the standard acoustic cases as well.  I don't have a pro.  So I can only compare between standard and artist.

The artist has more latches, which sometimes catches me out (excuse the pun), not really a major downside though and technically more secure - though my standard one has never had any problems.  It's more padded and feels sturdier overall in terms of the shell.

I sometimes get annoyed by the carry strap, I change my mind whether I find it useful or not, it's another thing to get caught on stuff when loading/unloading.  Unless you're carrying for distance it's probably easier just to stick to the briefcase style handle.

I didn't pay full price for my Artist case, I managed to get one in a sale at a good price.  I'm not sure if I'd have gone for it otherwise, as they're expensive.  But I don't have any complaints about the quality or sturdiness of it, it's a very nice case.
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1473
    edited September 2017
    The Pro Series is twice as puncture-resistant as the Standard and has more padding inside. The Artist Series is four times more puncture resistant and is fully padded.

Whether or not that translates as something I might need on flights, I don't know! For me the upgrade to Pro Series from Standard is a no-brainer because it's about £30. The jump to Arist is about another £150 though, so that's a tougher decision!
  • I'd contact some local shops and see if anyone has both in that you can take a look at - even if they don't have the right size you need it might be useful to get a proper look.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    I'm a big fan of Hiscox cases after one survived an incident many years ago, in recent months a small chip the size of a little finger nail fell off that very case where the damage was sustained all those years ago!

My 335 is in a Pro case but it doesn't fly. If I did I would definately have gone Artist. If you make a living from the tools then an extra £150 once for an instrument worth thousands is a no brainer to me. If you need to carry more than one guitar you might consider the 'triple' guitar case someone on here put forward recently. It would be cheaper but having all your eggs in one basket has at least one downside!

Most Pro sound hire Companies budget at least 20-25% of the cost of rack gear for the purpose built cases, they have to live on the reliability of the gear.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah, I'm thinking along those lines. I automatically get flight cases made for amps when I buy them if there's even the vaguest chance they'll end up on a splitter van or a truck, so this is along the same lines really. Just wondered about paying twice as much if the difference turned out to be negligible!
  • I have a few acoustic shows coming up abroad, and the chances are the guitars will end up in the hold, so I want sturdier casses than the ones they came in.
    If they are going in plane holds you want ATA rated ones - Castle Cases do good ones and they are ATA rated and borderline indestructible (I've got a Strat one):

https://www.castlecases.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=130
  • Too heavy to cart around, though :(

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1542
    If it's any help, I have an artist case that my Brook Tavy lives in. I don't tour/gig, but I feel comfortable standing on top of the case without damaging the guitar, and I weigh about 105kg. It has been slung into the back of cars on occasion and am more concerned about damaging the inside of the car. You're welcome to have a look if you are near Stirling...

Adam
  • I have a few acoustic shows coming up abroad, and the chances are the guitars will end up in the hold, so I want sturdier casses than the ones they came in.
    If they are going in plane holds you want ATA rated ones - Castle Cases do good ones and they are ATA rated and borderline indestructible (I've got a Strat one):

https://www.castlecases.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=130
    Are Hiscox cases not ATA rated? I took a LP in a Hiscox case to the States maybe 10 years ago and they made me put it in the hold on the way back, maybe I just got lucky.  It was the standard one, I wasn't expecting it to end up in the hold...