Goulding aluminium guitars?

What's Hot
MattPMattP Frets: 252
edited September 2017 in Guitar

Anyone out there know anything about these UK made instruments? After some bored link clicking, I came across some pictures of them. They look amazing but their website appears to be down so I can’t get any more information (which is already quite thin on the ground). 

They sort of remind me of a cross between an EGC and a Scott Walker electric – really rather nice. Not sure I’m quite ready for a non-wood electric yet, but would love to hear some first hand opinions on these from those that may have been lucky enough to own or play one.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Too flashy for me.

I like that the ECGs are kind of minimal.
  • Much too flashy for my tastes
  • I like em! 
  • MattPMattP Frets: 252
    edited September 2017

^ Yea, that's fair enough, they are certainly more so than an EGC.

I do however think that a polished metal body lends itself quite well to being a bit flash, and some of the finishes look quite unique (if 'quite unique' isn't a contradiction in terms...). Different strokes, and all that...

Anyone with first hand experience?

• Ive got first hand experience of EGC's (own 4), but these, nope not yet
  • lewismlewism Frets: 250
    I had one a couple of years ago in a colour that would be best described as "psychedelic purple vomit".  It was actually a pretty good guitar with some good sounds from the Bareknuckle pickups and a serviceable piezo system. It was very well made and had a nice wide flat neck but playing a heavy, initially cold guitar takes some getting used to. MsLewism hated it and I sold it on to buy a Patrick Eggle. As nice as it was, it was a bit of a bold look for me and, along with a BC Rich Mockingbird and a Jackson Randy Rhoads ushered in my rule of "If you can't see Keith Richards playing it, don't buy it" to stop me seeing something on eBay, saying "that's ace" and buying guitars wildly unsuitable for me or the music I play. I think I've got some pictures at home so I'll try to post them later.
    lewism said:
    I had one a couple of years ago in a colour that would be best described as "psychedelic purple vomit".  It was actually a pretty good guitar with some good sounds from the Bareknuckle pickups and a serviceable piezo system. It was very well made and had a nice wide flat neck but playing a heavy, initially cold guitar takes some getting used to. MsLewism hated it and I sold it on to buy a Patrick Eggle. As nice as it was, it was a bit of a bold look for me and, along with a BC Rich Mockingbird and a Jackson Randy Rhoads ushered in my rule of "If you can't see Keith Richards playing it, don't buy it" to stop me seeing something on eBay, saying "that's ace" and buying guitars wildly unsuitable for me or the music I play. I think I've got some pictures at home so I'll try to post them later.

Is that the one with the flowery inlay at the 12th fret? I think I may have seen it online. Nice description of the colour too: I think it looks ace! Yes, some pics would be great if you have them.

Perhaps an obvious point, but thanks for noting about the feel. It makes a lot of sense.

Did you find that the metal necks made them more or less susceptible to changes in temperature?

• Wow, the one with the bird and flower inlays looks amazing. But yeah, SUPER flash.

MattP said:

Perhaps an obvious point, but thanks for noting about the feel. It makes a lot of sense.

Did you find that the metal necks made them more or less susceptible to changes in temperature?

Do they have aluminium necks? Looked like wood to me.

WRT aluminium necks though, I've not experienced any significant issues. I'd say mine with locking tuners hold tune better than my other guitars, with the exception of those with locking trems. Caveat is that I do warm up the neck a bit before going up. But in the house, never noticed any issues.

gusman2x said:

Wow, the one with the bird and flower inlays looks amazing. But yeah, SUPER flash.

MattP said:

Do they have aluminium necks? Looked like wood to me.

WRT aluminium necks though, I've not experienced any significant issues. I'd say mine with locking tuners hold tune better than my other guitars, with the exception of those with locking trems. Caveat is that I do warm up the neck a bit before going up. But in the house, never noticed any issues.

Don't know about all of them, but one I saw had the aluminium neck with a rosewood board.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1267
    Played a couple at a show a few years back. Really, really nice to play. Bags of "personality" without being gratuitously odd, and, while I normally don't go for flashy guitars I found them oddly appealing to look at too.
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    Right, hopefully this works.
    The front:
    https://i.imgur.com/zjbwoGJ.jpg

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    I find that vulgar personally, and I'm far from a traditionalist.
  • I've played an aluminium Tele and Les Paul made by Drewman Guitars in Wiltshire at the Thame guitar show last year. They were nice, difficult to tell when playing through headphones at a guitar show. I'm a traditionalist though.

i wonder what tone metal it is hahaha 
    Fair enough, it's not for everyone- and it turns out it wasn't really for me either hence my self imposed "Keith Richards" rule as described above. You might like the wreck of a Travis Bean that I've yet to get round to restoring though.......
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    it might look rather nice 'unfinished', or with a single-colour paint job, and even pass the Keith Richards test that way. What's the sound like?  

It's a couple of years since I sold it, but the Bareknuckle Riff Raffs gave it most of its tone. If I recall, it had an SG like grunt with some brightness, but that was easily curable with the tone control. You're right about the colour scheme, it would be better in a single colour but I got it second hand so beggars can't be choosers. I seem to recall reading somewhere that this was the most popular colour scheme! Glad to say I've tried one though and as a bonus, I didn't lose any money when I sold it!
  • Wow, I think that's stunning!