Just a normal Sunday afternoon in London...

What's Hot
Norwegian_BlueNorwegian_Blue Frets: 462
edited September 2017 in Off Topic
As some of you know, I've been struggling with health issues and some really bad luck over the recent months (And a big thanks to those who have been supportive here, both in kind words and buying my stuff!)...but a few days ago finally got some good fortune, as a friend of mine asked me to cover for him on a little show as he'd messed up his flights. I've not been able to gig a huge amount, but I decided this one was something worth the effort!

Sadly not viewable on Iplayer due to tech trouble during the set.... but 45,000 in Hyde Park wasn't an entirely terrible experience! 

For me the most fascinating part of the day was watching the touring crews rolling in and out like clockwork... for them just a usual afternoon. I think for bands like the Stereophonics, Blondie, James Blunt etc it might be 40th-50th festival slot like this of the year and they are very well drilled. We had great views from the side of the stage until Shania Twain showed up and her hefty security decided we were no longer important enough to be in the area...

I can also confirm the Rick Astley is the life and soul of the backstage party! 

Name dropping aside... I can highly recommend checking out 'Wildwood Kin', a huge pleasure to work with over the weekend and a band going places! Thanks to them I managed to beat the family record of 12,000 set by my uncle in the eighties...it's still an ongoing competition! I'm fully aware that I got to do this by chance, but it was an experience to remember! 
0reaction image LOL 57reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Wow! I bet that was an experience you'll never forget! Congrats! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What a great experience. Definitely merits a Wow.
    It's not a competition.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    Well done and I hope things continue to improve for you.

All the best
  • Awesome - nice to see someone actually doing a VERY well attended gig :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72497
    Brilliant :D.

I think playing a proper gig to 45,000 - even if you got it accidentally - beats accidentally playing solo to 150,000 for twenty seconds when I was stage-tech'ing at the Edinburgh Hogmanay street party a few years ago, so I concede :).

It is an amazing experience to stand up there in front of a real sea of faces like that... even if you're not really meant to be ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10708
    Brilliant. 

ICBM said:
     accidentally playing solo to 150,000 for twenty seconds 
    Even if you extrapolate that to, say, a 50-minute set, that'd still be 1000 people!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • awesome, that looks fantastic!! Coincidentally a friend of a friend was playing bass for Rick Astley at that, she'd liked a photo and it popped up on my FB feed this morning.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Fantastic, good for you.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    OP: Wow! :scream:
    Awesome - nice to see someone actually doing a VERY well attended gig :)

@Teetonetal Y U hurt me like dis? :cry:
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Wow'd. 

Superb opportunity
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72497
    viz said:
    ICBM said:
     accidentally playing solo to 150,000 for twenty seconds 
    Even if you extrapolate that to, say, a 50-minute set, that'd still be 1000 people!
    It went out live on national TV too! In the background behind Jackie Bird or someone...

I was tech'ing for the band who were on directly after the new year bells, so while all that was going on I was doing my last check and playing the guitars/bass for a few bars each just to make sure everything was OK. I was a bit puzzled to hear an echo, until I realised it was coming back off the shops on the other side of Princes Street! The soundmen had forgotten to mute the PA :). They noticed pretty quickly and killed it just as I was playing Sunshine Of Your Love on the bass - I'd done Born To Be Wild on one guitar and Smoke On The Water on the other - left handed, so the choice of playable tunes was a bit limited ;).

Absolutely brilliant experience, even if everyone in front of me must have been thinking "who is this prat?" :D

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• awesome, that looks fantastic!! Coincidentally a friend of a friend was playing bass for Rick Astley at that, she'd liked a photo and it popped up on my FB feed this morning.
    Rick's band were great... his life in the industry certainly shows, very easygoing and wanted to chat with everyone!
    Rick's band were great... his life in the industry certainly shows, very easygoing and wanted to chat with everyone!
    ace :) Glad this one came up for you...I should imagine it'll take you a few days to come down from that :)
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4316
    That's amazing. 

Must have been a fantastic experience. Well done you. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6196
    tFB Trader
    yeah, thats bloody awesome. well done!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • well done, can only imagine what that feels like as i play the dog and duck on friday to 5 middle age tarts and a bloke in a flat cap.
  • Blimey! :)
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Nice one Paddy! :)
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
    ...a friend of mine asked me to cover for him on a little show as he'd messed up his flights. I've not been able to gig a huge amount, but I decided this one was something worth the effort!
    Looks amazing.  Who were you playing with?