Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is the Gibson SG not popular? cannot find a standard one anywhere

What's Hot

Comments

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    underdog said:

What's going between the neck pickup and the end of the fingerboard, is there some odd shaped plastic or is it a shadow?
    It's a plastic cover - it covers the tenon being visible.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited September 2017
    Rox said:
    underdog said:

What's going between the neck pickup and the end of the fingerboard, is there some odd shaped plastic or is it a shadow?
    It's a plastic cover - it covers the tenon being visible.

But it's edge doesn't match the pickguard? Seems to look really off. Have the small guards always been like that? I've just never notice it, I have one on an Epi but it's a continuation of the pickguard

Edit: on a zooming in it looks like its part of the pickup ring? Really odd looking
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22891
    edited September 2017
    underdog said:
    But it's edge doesn't match the pickguard? Seems to look really off. Have the small guards always been like that? I've just never notice it, I have one on an Epi but it's a continuation of the pickguard

Edit: on a zooming in it looks like its part of the pickup ring? Really odd looking

It's a separate small plate made of single-layer black plastic, held on with 2 small black screws, whereas the scratchplate is made from multi-layer black/white/black (etc) laminated plastic.

It's there on nearly every SG except the ones with the big batwing scratchplate.  Google some pictures.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72369
    Philly_Q said:

It's there on nearly every SG except the ones with the big batwing scratchplate.
    - and the 70s ones where the neck is set further into the body so the fingerboard comes to the pickup. Most people don't like these guitars much though, they don't feel quite right even though the 'to the left' problem is less bad (and the neck joint is stronger).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Considering you could get a 2017 Standard SG for £900 in March/April 2017 (I presume as part of some offer that most stores took part in), I would wait and see what happens. No need to pay £1200.
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:

It's there on nearly every SG except the ones with the big batwing scratchplate.
    - and the 70s ones where the neck is set further into the body so the fingerboard comes to the pickup. Most people don't like these guitars much though, they don't feel quite right even though the 'to the left' problem is less bad (and the neck joint is stronger).

Yeah, I didn't have the patience to try to list the exceptions! ;)  Tthere were also some early 80s ones where the pickup is right up against the end of the neck, but they look weird and have the switch in a funny place...

Philly_Q said:
    underdog said:

It's a separate small plate made of single-layer black plastic, held on with 2 small black screws, whereas the scratchplate is made from multi-layer black/white/black (etc) laminated plastic.

It's there on nearly every SG except the ones with the big batwing scratchplate.  Google some pictures.

I only have an Epiphone so never paid much attention just caught my eye in that picture. I have to say I think the way Epiphone done it on the model I have looms better :D

Thanks for the information 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6152
    tFB Trader
    I wish Gibson would do a correct SG Jr :(
    Ooo check this out....
    https://www.gak.co.uk/en/Gibson-USA-2016-Limited-SG-Junior-Cherry/78414

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    ThorpyFX said:
    Ooo check this out....

Now that is bloody lovely
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    ThorpyFX said:
    Ooo check this out....

2016 model available to order?
    RMJ said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    Ooo check this out....

2016 model available to order?

It does sound a bit unlikely...

There was an earlier Junior reissue, I think around 2005-6, with a batwing scratchplate and a fatter neck.  I wish I'd bought one of those at the time.

tFB Trader
    Well this shire proved fruitful- love this community. Here is my new(to me) gibson Sg 61 reissue. 2008 model, nicely aged by actual use and the pickups are a pair of bareknuckle abraxas. Exactly what I wanted and I was able to do the one in one out thing!! 

https://imgur.com/a/984Do
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Congrats. My 61 was a revelation to me, especially after I put OX4s in it. 

• agibboagibbo Frets: 102
    ThorpyFX said:
    Well this shire proved fruitful- love this community. Here is my new(to me) gibson Sg 61 reissue. 2008 model, nicely aged by actual use and the pickups are a pair of bareknuckle abraxas. Exactly what I wanted and I was able to do the one in one out thing!! 

I hope you're enjoying the SG! I'm loving the Princeton, and its great that a forum like this exists to allow likeminded geeks to trade! Nice meeting you too!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    @ThorpyFX the SG is neck heavy.  If Gibson ever got to build one that the headstock did not dive towards the floor, the buyer would very likely hang on to it for dear life.

Consider the difficulty in finding one to be a bonus.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    agibbo said:
    ThorpyFX said:

I hope you're enjoying the SG! I'm loving the Princeton, and its great that a forum like this exists to allow likeminded geeks to trade! Nice meeting you too!
    Likewise, love a good service station liaison.

Rocker said:
    @ThorpyFX the SG is neck heavy.  If Gibson ever got to build one that the headstock did not dive towards the floor, the buyer would very likely hang on to it for dear life.

Consider the difficulty in finding one to be a bonus.
    Ha, well I love the one I have now very much, and despite having Grover’s (better tuners but heavier  too) it doesn’t dive too badly
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    I don't get this "neck dive" thing at all.  I've had 3 SG's (still got two of them) and NONE of them had this problem.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I understand the neck dive issue, but they're such comfortable, manageable guitars that I've never seen it as a big deal to just hold them in the right place.

That said, I do have an SG with first-generation robot tuners and that one is really prone to doing a Tom Daley.
  • ThorpyFX said:

That's lovely that is. SG GAS still grabs me from time to time even though a. I really don't need one and b. I don't tend to get on with Gibsons - just an ergonomic thing. Always prefer small scratch plate models though :-)
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • Nitefly said:
    I don't get this "neck dive" thing at all.  I've had 3 SG's (still got two of them) and NONE of them had this problem.

Yeah. Good ones aren't, but you do get some (particularly when they have Grover machineheads) that are pretty divey. It comes down to the density of the neck wood vs the body wood. I suspect the complaints come from the same people who try and hold it like a Les Paul and then complain everything is too far to the left. With an SG you almost want it on your hip, with the neck strap button pretty much level with your belly button.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires