Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

BeBop Deluxe

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Be Bop Deluxe only made 4 studio albums - "Axe Victim", "Futurama", "Sunburst Finish" and "Drastic Plastic".  All with Bills guitar to the fore but he takes a different approach to each album.  There is a live album, "Live in the Air Age" which is a good starting point.  Here is a track from it, "Adventures in a Yorkshire Landscape";  solo kicks in at 1.45

"Crying to the Sky", is from "Sunburst Finish" and contains another adored solo
    Post Be Bop Deluxe, there was the brief lived "Red Noise", that were more new wave and made just one album, "Sound on Sound" - the magazine of the same title was named after this albumWhen it comes to Bills solo work, you are entering a musical adventure 
    Bills solo work is a musical adventure.  He has well over 100 solo albums, not all guitar focussed and covering a range of genres.  One thing dertain, he doesnt stand still and is always pushing the boundaries.His website, "Dreamsville" contains samples of his work as well as where you can buy his CDs (nb the site was down when I tried this morning) it also has a good forum where you could post questions asking for listening suggestions.  For guitar related, I like one of his latest CDs "Luxury Wonder Moments" but would also recommend both the "Painting with Guitar" albums.  If you are looking for something ambient and late night, then "Crimsworth" which was written for a water instillation in York, is low fi minimalism (no guitar)
    You might find this link of interest as well.  It's a Bill Nelson "special" broadcast on NTS Radio in January; its all post Be Bop and by no means all guitar.
    Hope this helps, but Bill Nelsons work is impossible to label!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • i remember back in 1982 going to a sort of alternative dark caberet  by Bill, called the invisibility exhibition and there were projected images, Bill playing guitar, guest artist, Frank chickens if you remember them. I dont remember much about it now but i know it was amazing.
  • Be Bop Deluxe only made 4 studio albums - "Axe Victim", "Futurama", "Sunburst Finish" and "Drastic Plastic"........
    Thanks for this info, AR....i will dive in ;-)

• i remember back in 1982 going to a sort of alternative dark caberet  by Bill, called the invisibility exhibition and there were projected images, Bill playing guitar, guest artist, Frank chickens if you remember them. I dont remember much about it now but i know it was amazing.
    There were two Invisibility Exhibitions, 1980 (Edinburgh Festival) and spring 1983, Which was a mini tour and consisted of Bill and his brother, Ian, improvising over tapes, the Frank Chickens and ex Skids Richard Jobson reading his poetry. There might have been additional artists but the memory is struggling a bit! 
  • I first heard of BBD about 25 years ago.  My brother in law said he'd give me a fiver if I learnt to play the solo from the live version of Adventures In A Yorkshire Landscape.

He's still got the fiver.

I can play it slowly, but those fast fluid runs of Bills defeat me.  Wasnt he 'the fastest guitar player in Wakefeld' ?

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    sm55onl said:
    Be Bop Deluxe only made 4 studio albums - "Axe Victim", "Futurama", "Sunburst Finish" and "Drastic Plastic"........
    Thanks for this info, AR....i will dive in ;-)

As I mentioned earlier in this thread - you can get all four albums in a package for a tenner. Which is what I did.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Just realised - 5 albums. We forgot Modern Music.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexC said:
    Just realised - 5 albums. We forgot Modern Music.
    How on earth did I miss that out? I saw them on that tour at the Odeon in Edinburgh late September 1976........
  • This link has about 2 hours of Bill music, post BeBop Deluxe and up to around http://www.nts.live/shows/noboringintros/episodes/bill-nelson-special-w-jon-rust-bullion-15th-january-2017

• This link has about 2 hours of Bill music, post BeBop Deluxe and up to around http://www.nts.live/shows/noboringintros/episodes/bill-nelson-special-w-jon-rust-bullion-15th-january-2017

Should have read "up to around 1990"