Help! - eBay Collection Only

What's Hot
FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
edited September 2017 in Off Topic
I'm not really much of an eBayer, but something caught my eye and I was the sole bidder, so I got a decent price on an item which is in a nearby city, and collection is no problem.

When I contacted the seller he asked me to pay by PayPal/Card, after which we can discuss the collection of the goods. Is this normal? I was hoping to pay with cash. Am I leaving myself open to any shenanigans? The seller does have good feedback..

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice  
If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You will be fine, it's the other way round that you will have problems :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited September 2017
    You will be fine, it's the other way round that you will have problems  
    So the onus is on the seller to prove that I received the goods? My limited experience with eBay has only been with items that were delivered and signed for.
  • If the buyer pays via PayPal and collects the buyer can do a charge back scam, if you the buyer pays by PayPal and collect, the seller won't do anything as he doesn't have the guitar and already has the cash, he's in the dodgy area not you bud. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    If you use Paypal you will be fine.  Don't use bank transfer though.

If you use Paypal, and he then doesn't give you the item, or it turns out to be faulty, then Ebay will refund you if you put a claim in.

I do wonder why he is asking you to use Paypal as it puts him at risk.  You could claim that he never delivered it, and he wouldn't have a signature to prove otherwise so you could keep the item, and get your money back.  Given that he will pay Paypal fees as well, I don't really get where he's coming from - unless he tries to convince you to do bank transfer.  In that case he might have the money and not give you the item, and you would probably have no comeback short of the small claims court.  Even then it would be your word against his.
  • ive had a few like that, never understood why as they are taking all the risk.
    edited September 2017
    Yeah, that's what I don't get, why not take cash when we meet? Paying up front via PayPal before arranging to meet also got my antenna twitching. I'm a very reluctant and occasional eBayer, it's not really my thing. This place is still best when is comes to buying used gear.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72638
    The seller is a fool if he takes Paypal and then allows collection, but it that's the way he wants it and it isn't a hassle for you, then do it…

If you would really prefer to pay with cash then remind him that he will avoid the Paypal fees and any other possible problems.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    Jesus, if stuff like this gets you twitching maybe you shouldn't use eBay.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have recently bought two bass amp heads and a bass guitar from eBay, all of which I have paid by PayPal and then collected. I believe that eBay insists on Paypal payment as an option, and I prefer it as a buyer because I then have protection should something go wrong.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2595
    tFB Trader
    PayPal gives you protection, don't send a personal payment though, payment in advance means you don't arrive on site and try to haggle the price down.

if he has mostly positive feedback then there should be nothing to worry about
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30316
    Don't be so coy, what have you bought?
  • eBay/PayPal prefers that funds are transferred through their channels before personal contact details are exchanged. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    perhaps the seller wants the money in his paypal account because he does not want gear purchases to go through a bank account that is visible to persons close to him ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1468
    NPP said:
    perhaps the seller wants the money in his paypal account because he does not want gear purchases to go through a bank account that is visible to persons close to him ;)
    What he said. It is quite handy if cash doesn't change hands in front of significant others. When it does, all of a sudden we need a new hoover, curtains etc...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Bidley said:
    Jesus, if stuff like this gets you twitching maybe you shouldn't use eBay.
    I do try to avoid it, but the deal on offer was good and there were no bids, so I spontaneously made a cheeky one with just seconds to go and I won!
    edited September 2017
    Sassafras said:
    Don't be so coy, what have you bought?
    Something audio monitoring related that I could probably do without, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. I'll let you know after I test it out  
  • PayPal gives you protection, don't send a personal payment though, payment in advance means you don't arrive on site and try to haggle the price down.

if he has mostly positive feedback then there should be nothing to worry about

ah of course, never thought of that, also it means you are actually gonna show up for the goods

• my 2 cents of scenarios

1. the seller has done cash on collection before and eBay has put a strike on his account for dealing outside so he wants to now do it the 'eBay way' to avoid having his account suspensed? I've been warned for it before

2. the seller wants to buy something online straight away so it makes more sense to have the money in his paypal account rather than cash > bank > use bank card online

3. the seller will take your paypal money, send you a fake address and you'll never hear from them again (don't worry you're protected and the seller will lose the really flawed scam they're trying to run)