Online Youtube (etc) Guitar/Amp/Pedal shows...when will the bubble 'burst'.....

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413
    If someone said to me you can have a choice of having free Sky, Netflix, BBC etc or Youtube only I would pick Youtube. I'm not a big fan of over done scripted stuff with special graphics and intro, outro music and scenes, you generally find the more filler the less content 
    I really don't get the fascination with watching gear demos though, I mean I watch hundreds of technique videos that have really helped my playing but most of the videos demo'ing gear are literally by people that are using it to demo music they don't really have a firm grip of ... so it generally sounds a bit shit!
    I mean someone like Greg Koch can do a Hendrix impression with a telecaster into a fender amp and it sounds way more authentic than the Anderton shows, Pedal show, guys in their bedroom with the proper Strats, pedals and Marshalls etc
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • By the way, I totally understand a music teacher being paid through it by subscription or however they do it, that's different. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Danny1969 said:
    I mean someone like Greg Koch can do a Hendrix impression with a telecaster into a fender amp and it sounds way more authentic than the Anderton shows, Pedal show, guys in their bedroom with the proper Strats, pedals and Marshalls etc
    Yeah, but that's not realistic for most people as GK is an actual proper musician. I would say most professional guitarists, if they were inclined to prove a point, could play and sound like whoever they wanted and do a better job than some no-mark in their bedroom, or someone who happens to work in a guitar shop. I can run for a bus, but that doesn't mean I should be compared to Usain Bolt.
    I watch people like Koch play because it's fun and entertaining. I watch the gear nerds because the pedal they're reviewing is likely to sound vaguely like it does when I play it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've heard that youtube producers and bloggers have the same problem.  In order to make money they must have new, relevant material right now , all day, all night or they don't get enough response(money) to make it worthwhile.    I can't even come up with something I would call relevant to blog about on a daily basis let alone try to keep a steady flow of quality videos on youtube.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited September 2017
    I've heard that youtube producers and bloggers have the same problem.  In order to make money they must have new, relevant material right now , all day, all night or they don't get enough response(money) to make it worthwhile.    I can't even come up with something I would call relevant to blog about on a daily basis let alone try to keep a steady flow of quality videos on youtube.

Yeah being independent, i.e. not taking on direct sponsorship, means a lot of content (requiring a lot of views).  It's just not possible with music if you're doing original material.  It's more achievable in gaming because someone else is making the content.  Some of those guys are doing daily if not almost daily content.  It is a full time job in that scenario