Johnny Marr Jag: Staytrem or Mastery ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• bwets said:
    So, another question... does the Johnny Marr jag need a Staytrem tremolo instead of the standard one ?
    Why don't you try first and see?
    I agree - I'm sure the Marruar is fine out-of-the-box. Just change whatever you're unhappy with. For example, all this Staytrem business had me thinking about the original bridge in my AV65. It had never rattled, I just assumed Mastery and then staytrem would be better. In truth, the original is fine, it's less heavy so there's a change in tone and feel but not necessarily for the worse - just different!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    edited September 2017
    I had a stock marr jag.  I strung with 11s and had zero issues FWIW.  I miss that guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30922
    15 pages, 3 bannings, eventually locked by the Modmins.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • String spacing is wider on the stock marr I believe. 
  • Johnny Marr Jag is now... in the house !
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    edited September 2017
    Stock Marr bridge can (on some guitars) have string spacing issues.

Staytrem is close to whats already there and is nicer made, with better string spacing.

Mastery to my ears sound better. Ordering direct from Woody (Mastery) is very efficient - when I bought the tremolo, it took three days door to door. Customs wasn't an issue, either. So to the guy waiting for his local shop, I think they may be spinning you a line.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Whilst I prefer Staytrem, I’d second that Mastery sound a little better. BUT they can still be rattly petulant buggers, whereas the Staytrem is a set and forget. It’s also very slightly nicer with the vibrato than a Mastery. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fitted, somewhat nervously, the Staytrem...

Simple. Adjusted the string height, and then fully intonated the Jag (first time Ive ever done this).

This guitar is perfect. Absolutely smuggly proud of myself :)

Could recommend the Staytrem enough.

Simple. Adjusted the string height, and then fully intonated the Jag (first time Ive ever done this).

Well done. Arm and collet mod recommended too If you use the vibrato. A very safe £30 investment. 

Well done. Arm and collet mod recommended too If you use the vibrato. A very safe £30 investment. 
    Gav, I've no idea what this is !! Is it from Staytrem ?

Gav, I've no idea what this is !! Is it from Staytrem ?
    Yeah. It essentially means the arm stays wherever you leave it 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14430
    edited September 2017
    IIRC, the Fender JMJ has either a genuine StayTrem arm and collet from new or Fender's cheapo imitation of the design (just like the bridge/saddle assembly that Waz just sold.) A photograph of the push-in end of the arm would clarify the matter.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • IIRC, the Fender JMJ has either a genuine StayTrem arm and collet from new or Fender's cheapo imitation of the design (just like the bridge/saddle assembly that Waz just sold.) A photograph of the push-in end of the arm would clarify the matter.
    The JMJ does have a modified tremolo arm system - I wonder if the Staytrem is even better ?
  • IIRC, the Fender JMJ has either a genuine StayTrem arm and collet from new or Fender's cheapo imitation of the design (just like the bridge/saddle assembly that Waz just sold.) A photograph of the push-in end of the arm would clarify the matter.
    The JMJ does have a modified tremolo arm system - I wonder if the Staytrem is even better ?
    There’s probably only cosmetics in it. Essentially it has a plastic bushing on it which prevents slip 
  • You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9538
    edited September 2017
    @Funkfingers ;;  appreciate the efforts with the photo mate !

So, what's the conclusion there with the photo ? Worth fitting the Staytrem ?
  • Inspect the arm supplied with your JMJ. If it has a rounded end and a 3mm portion machined out of it, you already have the StayTrem parts. A flat end and approximately 10mm machined away indicates a Fender part.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Inspect the arm supplied with your JMJ. If it has a rounded end and a 3mm portion machined out of it, you already have the StayTrem parts. A flat end and approximately 10mm machined away indicates a Fender part.
    Thanks for all the help and advice...

I can confirm, having removed the arm, that it is the rounded Staytrem part fitted to mine :)

It makes sense as the arm stays where you put it, and the trem is very stable.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7787

When I had my J Mascis Jazzmaster I just bent the bit of the arm that went into the hole so it stayed where I left it - worked a treat for £0.00 ;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister