NGD: Squire Bullet Mustang

What's Hot
Well...not technically my guitar, but I bloody paid for it so kind of mine. We went through quite a journey trying to track one of these down as most places were sold out. While our local shop A Strings on Pontypridd could not get one, we were lucky to nab the last one in Gamlins in Cardiff. I bought it in June and they held onto it until now for my daughter's 10th Birthday. 

Hat's off to them too. They made it really special and played along with my deception to claim it was sold. My daughter knew it was hard to get hold of and was slightly disappointed to see the "SOLD" sign on the guitar. It took a bit of prompting for her to actually read the note though as it said SOLD to Mr Meredith.... ;-) Sneaky Daddy. Then the penny dropped...

The guitar itself is great. Gamlins did a nice setup and I asked for a set of 10's to be put on it which I think makes a real difference. I can see they did some filing of the nut and a bit of fretboard work. It plays really well - shocking for a guitar that cost £115+strings. One of the very last rosewood Squires? Maybe...

Electrics seem great with a lovely clunk at the jack and no static on the pots or switch at all. They're Alpha's which is great for a guitar of this price range. I'm impressed with the neck pickup too. Bridge is a little harsh but by no means terrible. Nice thin body but groovy headstock. Superb paint job - the sparkly finish is just what she was after and much more impressive than the black version. For a Squire it's astounding and the finish seems far superior to the Strats and Tele's in the range.

I took the advice left on some of my other threads and got this guitar and it fits my daughter perfectly. So good infact she played a perfect D chord in the shop and I only showed it to her last week. She's happy, plus when she goes to bed it's MINE!!!!

Here's the moment she plugged it in for the first time:

A post shared by John Meredith (@afflictedjohn) on Sep 16, 2017 at 8:19am PDT

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skinfreak said:
    Gamlins did a nice setup and I asked for a set of 10's to be put on it which I think makes a real difference. I can see they did some filing of the nut and a bit of fretboard work. It plays really well - shocking for a guitar that cost £115+strings. 
    Gamlins is my first choice music shop in Cardiff. They know that doing a tidy deal on somebody's first guitar is a good way to earn repeat business. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Slap an alnico magnet in that bridge pickup and you're good to go :) 
    Presumably they're using ceramic in it, so you can only get warmer.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I'm hoping to pick one of these up for myself to take on holiday next month. 
  • underdog said:
    I'm hoping to pick one of these up for myself to take on holiday next month. 
    The chaps at A Strings said they got a couple in last week.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited September 2017
    Mine is the guitar I now pickup most often, I have modded it a bit.......actually, a lot, only the neck body and control plate remain, I love the short scale.....and its quite light too...

http://i.imgur.com/Z6d3BvN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/AxvqOzm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/JwK5oNj.jpg

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    I put a set of Donliss P94,s in mine .great tones from a very cheap set up .
  • Great little guitars - i’m going to get a white pearl scratchplate cut and fit mustang pickups on mine.
  • I really like mine - it's getting some Oil City pickups and a setup and I'm very much looking forward to it. 
  • skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 200
    I notice now Fender have swapped to an Indian Laurel fretboard. I suppose the rosewood ones are truly rare now? Any idea on availbility for the new fretboarded ones as Gamlin don't seem to offer them. I may walk in and have a look at a work colleague wants one for his daughter.
  • GrokeGroke Frets: 3
    edited March 2018
    My son (15) has had one for about 9 months and plays it a lot and hard. Frets are very worn already and the saddles are made of cheese. I've had to file the saddle slots smooth as the G, B, and E strings were cutting into the metal and causing string breakages. Overall though the guitar is awesome for the money. Smooth fret ends, great finish etc. Have a JB to put in at the bridge once I work out the wiring.
    Doesn't surprise me. Guitar geek on YouTube changed out most of the hardware but we shall see how this all lasts. Sooner or later a better bridge is a certainty.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    There's one black one left on Amazon, think it's the rosewood board one. I'd buy it, but I've bought 2 guitars and upgraded a third really recently and I think the Mrs would forcibly "store" it somewhere sensitive.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I wonder if the newer models still have the Alpha pots....