tele pickup suggestions please

What's Hot
DominicDominic Frets: 16193
 what is a soft ,mellow vintage style set ....I actually have  twisted telly set in a blackguard but find it too icepick sounding
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• What exact model of Telecaster is it? 

Alnico 3 magnets certainly make for a nice neck/Rhythm position pickup. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16193
    nocaster
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14599
    edited September 2017
    What happened to the original pickups? What, if anything, did you dislike about them?

Also, what modifications have been made to the control wiring?
    put back to standard modern wiring
    Original pickups still in guitar but I find them harsh and bright
    I want a more mellow sound especially from neck although I play country and chicken pickin type stuff but I would like to be able to be ballad Jazzy on the neck wound back for Western Swing type sounds
  • It should be possible to get a sweet Jazzy/Bluesy tone from the neck position pickup. Much depends on the pickup height adjustment, your string gauges and amplification.

It should be possible to get a warm, clean sound through overdriven valve amplification by winding the volume control back and gentle picking.
  • I have these in one of mine

http://www.kleinpickups.com/p-44-nocaster-epic-series-pickup.aspx

They are my favourite tele pickups by a distance. They don't have that horrible exaggerated bite a lot of tele pickups have, they sound huge and warm and clear
  • You could try Suhr, however you may want to experiment more with the existing set, for example this sounds very warmand I'm sure it's a twisted tele pickup.

Or have routed for mini humbucker Brent Mason style :

• GassageGassage Frets: 30987

Speak to @theguitarweasel ... the pups I've had for my teles off him have been utterly outstanding.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

love the Brent Mason vid even though jazz isn't especially his thing 
    interesting to hear the difference between his moded tele and a normal tele :+1: makes the normal one sound a bit thin - he is a great player
    I always like Tim Lurch tele tones for this type of playing
  • I've only used the Twisted Tele neck pup before but never found it to be ice picky. Are you referring just to the bridge? I'm also wondering whether it's set up issue?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72737
    Locate the knob shown in the lower left corner of this picture, and rotate it anti-clockwise until the desired sound characteristic is obtained.

https://media.sweetwater.com/store/manufacturer/Fender/about/tele_feature-volume.jpg

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    will ignore cleverdick comment
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Try lowering the pickups...
    Dominic said:
    will ignore cleverdick comment
    OK, I apologise for the way I said it :), but why not actually try it? That's what the tone control is for - and it works very well. I use the one on my Strat-style guitar for exactly the same reason.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Gagaryn said:
    Try lowering the pickups...

Agree with this....adjusting the height would be the first thing I do.

Otherwise I really like my Don Mare Super Sports. Not exactly "vintage" ie higher output but never ice pick sounding.

http://www.buckcannon.com/telesetsorbridge.html

• Dominic said:

I always like Tim Lurch tele tones for this type of playing

Yeah, he's great.  What about the Lollar Charlie Christian pickup?

Or a mini Humbucker?

Another warmer option would be a P90 Tele pickup, I have a strat one that is quite soft/warm.  The creamery do one.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6401
    Have a chat with Marc @ @Mojopickups ; - he'll also do a wiring loom to get you where you want the sound to be.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    I have ......it does very little to take the harshness out of the sound until the last two increments then it just dies into mush
    - I think it is more than the taper of the pot......it is a thin tinny sound even for a tele
    maybe ignorant but does a loom make that much difference ?
    seems like changing the oil when the head gasket is gone.....no  ?
    Dominic said:
    I have ......it does very little to take the harshness out of the sound until the last two increments then it just dies into mush
    - I think it is more than the taper of the pot......it is a thin tinny sound even for a tele
    It may need a better pot - that's the usual characteristic of cheap ones, or the wrong taper (Linear when it should be Log).

If so it's probably worth factoring in upgrading the pots even if you do find some pickups you like.