Richie Sambora and Stranger In This Town

What's Hot
beed84beed84 Frets: 2414
I've always thought Sambora is an awesome and somewhat underrated player. After giving Stranger In This Town another spin (read: stream) last night, I forgot how bloody good the album is. 

I mean every track is killer and rivals the stuff he's done with Bon Jovi; his voice is stellar and gives Jon a run for his money, and his guitar playing is superb throughout. Honestly, it's possibly the perfect soft rock album and IMHO is something of an overlooked gem.

If you haven't listened to it, then you should.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    edited September 2017
    Easily the best singer in Bon Jovi and a very fine guitarist. It's a bit of a shame he got tarnished with the soft poodle-rock image as he's very versatile.

I'm not sure I can ever forgive him for putting a Kahler on a Les Paul though. It's like putting a Bigsby on a Charvel San Dimas.
  • Some of that album is pure cheese (Rosie springs to mind), I really enjoyed the follow up Undiscovered soul. Some lovely playing on that.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2414
    Some of that album is pure cheese (Rosie springs to mind), I really enjoyed the follow up Undiscovered soul. Some lovely playing on that.
    Haha, I love Rosie! But yeah, Undiscovered Soul is a great album. Will be giving that another listen as well.
  • I bought that as a teenager but it was right about the time of grunge and britpop and all sorts of other stuff that was much cooler, so it barely got a look in. Maybe I should give it another go.

<press play on the link above>

Gypsy woman on lonely street, voodoo woman... yeesh. Making LEURRRRRVE... blimey. 

Instantly transported to 1991 when this album came out, when the rock world was moving on but all the poodle perm rock bands thought it was basically nineteen-eighty-eleven. Dude could play and sing, but the lyrics. How anyone can sing all that voodoo woman magic child makin' LEUURRRRRVE bullshit with a straight face I honestly don't know.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2414
    edited September 2017

Dude could play and sing, but the lyrics. How anyone can sing all that voodoo woman magic child makin' LEUURRRRRVE bullshit with a straight face I honestly don't know.

Fair point but I'd say lyrics don't matter that much. Let's face it, Coldplay sang a song about the colour yellow!
  • beed84 said:

Fair point but I'd say lyrics don't matter that much. Let's face it, Coldplay sung a song about the colour yellow!

Sometimes I can get past them, or find something clever in the middle of something really dumb, but this sort of stuff is like my lyrical kryptonite- shallow nonsense delivered without a hint of irony (or any evidence of a final read-through of the lyric sheet before rolling tape, like when he confesses "body keeps achin'" with lust for Old Father Time) as if it were of world-changing importance. Can't deal.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.