Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Reverb.com; a little privacy please.

What's Hot

Comments

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    edited September 2017
    aord43 said:
    There is a lot of bullshit around but some examples are useful.  "Low-hanging fruit" is just an analogy like any other.   

That's one of the problems with this shite, a need to fill silence with noise, so phrases which actually lengthen what you're trying to say makes you seem more important. A person who uses this is too afraid to say "easy".
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    aord43 said:
    There is a lot of bullshit around but some examples are useful.  "Low-hanging fruit" is just an analogy like any other.   

That's one of the problems with this shite, a need to fill silence with noise, so phrases which actually lengthen what you're trying to say makes you seem more important. A person who uses this is too afraid to say "easy".
    This is exactly it: the unsaid thought that by talking in riddles and analogies, you are somehow superior in intellect and ability. In reality these people are vapid and lacking in precision. They can talk and talk and are just making noise. Its the art of stating the obvious, and saying nothing really.

We need to pluck the low hanging fruit: you mean, we need to go for the easy business. Just bloody say that then! Maybe he was pushing on an open door......
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Gassage Thanks for "Reaching out " I've dropped you a PM. Cheers 
    I work for http://www.reverb.com/uk Any questions, queries, complaints, Drop me a line.

Remember to check out our Bank Holiday Sale 15% off New, Used and Vintage
    https://reverb.com/uk/sales/bank-holiday-sale

13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    Snap said:
    aord43 said:

This is exactly it: the unsaid thought that by talking in riddles and analogies, you are somehow superior in intellect and ability. In reality these people are vapid and lacking in precision. They can talk and talk and are just making noise. Its the art of stating the obvious, and saying nothing really.

We need to pluck the low hanging fruit: you mean, we need to go for the easy business. Just bloody say that then! Maybe he was pushing on an open door......
    I am playing devil's advocate a bit but although I don't tend to use this kind of language myself I don't reject all of it out of hand. Every area of life has jargon and often with good reason.  Also as I said before, things like "low-hanging fruit" is just a metaphor, of which there are loads in life and normal conversation.  Do you tell everyone who uses a metaphor to "just bloody say what you mean!"?

"The cat is out of the bag now"...."no, I think you mean the secret has been revealed"
    "it's the elephant in the room" ..."no, you mean it's the thing nobody wants to mention"
    "he's beating a dead horse"..."no, he's wasting his time"
    "he's plucking the low-hanging fruit"..."no, he's doing the easy things first"

However I would never support use of "leverage" when "use" will do !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30925
    @iain.reverb

Great message Iain, and I am really grateful you can see my POV.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5273
    edited September 2017
    hope thats sorted @Gassage I must say @iain.reverb  i have sold a few things on Reverb recently and its been great
  • "Parking our tanks on his lawn", was one I endured recently. Fuck knows what it means, but it sounds pretty hostile, so I'm trying to figure out how I can work it into a management meeting somehow.

• monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    "Parking our tanks on his lawn", was one I endured recently. Fuck knows what it means, but it sounds pretty hostile, so I'm trying to figure out how I can work it into a management meeting somehow.
    I'm so using that one tomorrow :)
  • I'm glad this thread has encouraged some out of the box, blue sky imagineering. Well done to the OP for reaching out to us!

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    I shall be cascading the rotting fruit from this LZ.

• monofin said:
    "Parking our tanks on his lawn", was one I endured recently. Fuck knows what it means, but it sounds pretty hostile, so I'm trying to figure out how I can work it into a management meeting somehow.
    I'm so using that one tomorrow :)

Let me know how that goes, I'm still scratching my head about how to work that one into the next director's Board meeting.

• Two questions...

How big is a tank, and how big is his lawn? :)
  • Two questions...

How big is a tank, and how big is his lawn? :)

1. Fucking big.

2. It doesn't matter when you have a tank.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • "Parking our tanks on his lawn", was one I endured recently. Fuck knows what it means, but it sounds pretty hostile, so I'm trying to figure out how I can work it into a management meeting somehow.
    This thread has morphed somewhat and I won't be helping...

I hate "Can I get a latte, please?" when they really mean "I'd like a latte, please". It's the baristas job to get it, not the customers. 

Re tanks on lawn. A long time ago, my company got a call from an irate prospective customer regarding a package we'd sent him. He was incandescent and told us never to do "that" again. He was at TNT HQ in Atherton. Our normal courier company was DHL. They delivered his small box to TNTs HQ in a huge articulated truck with very heavy DHL branding all over it and parked right outside the front entrance. 

That's parking your tanks on their lawn in action...  
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Another one "Good to meet you."

Really? How do you know that? I may be HMRC for all you know.

• DominicDominic Frets: 16099

I hate "Can I get a latte, please?" when they really mean "I'd like a latte, please
    That's another Horrible Americanism........
    I was asked the other day if I wanted my eggs "over easy "......which sounded a bit ridiculous in a cafe in Bedfordshire but not as ridiculous as the kid's who have taken to calling " the old bill " ....."The Feds " ! in street jargon 
    I assume that they are scared of being "Arraigned "!
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    I say 'could I get a so-and-so' quite a bit - usually in the mornings when getting a bacon roll. I don't even think about it, it just slips out. Obviously I am Lucifer incarnate and deserve to be dropped into a pit of lions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    edited September 2017
    Excellent backstage management from @iain.reverb ;;

Going forwards, a bit of bluesky thinking from me. As a heads up, most of us guys in Gee Bee don't optimize from eshots reaching out like this. We all want to safeguard the honeypot, and nobody want to shit in the bathwater like eBay has done. Perhaps a blank page brainstorm needs to be scheduled to resolve the engagement issue for customers whilst keeping the barn doors open to the guilded gravy train.

Peace y'all.

<Just re-read that - sounds a bit Nathan Barley doesn't it. Totally Mexico>
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• aord43aord43 Frets: 287

I hate "Can I get a latte, please?" when they really mean "I'd like a latte, please". It's the baristas job to get it, not the customers. 

Re tanks on lawn. A long time ago, my company got a call from an irate prospective customer regarding a package we'd sent him. He was incandescent and told us never to do "that" again. He was at TNT HQ in Atherton. Our normal courier company was DHL. They delivered his small box to TNTs HQ in a huge articulated truck with very heavy DHL branding all over it and parked right outside the front entrance. 

That's parking your tanks on their lawn in action...  
    I agree with "get" a latte etc.  It really grates with me.

LOL on the DHL thing.  Not your problem though.  The customer doesn't normally get to choose the courier!
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    Dopesick said:
    I say 'could I get a so-and-so' quite a bit - usually in the mornings when getting a bacon roll. I don't even think about it, it just slips out. Obviously I am Lucifer incarnate and deserve to be dropped into a pit of lions.
    I do that too.

What does annoy the shit out of me is "a couple xxx" instead of "a couple of xxx".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom