Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Thoughts on stainless frets

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    edited September 2017 tFB Trader
    Roland said:
    Roland said:
    Personally I find the idea of soft nickle frets offensive. It indicates substandard material choice. ...
     Define sub standard fret choice please
    If I buy something, other than a consumable, I expect it to last at least five years of normal use. For example, branded dishwashers and washing machines are warranted to work for five years without failure. 

So if a guitar needs refretting in less than five years of normal use then I would consider that the builder had used substandard fretwire.
    so if a guitars fretted with jescar which every one says is the best nickel fretwire available and doesn't last you 5 yrs it's sub standard workmanship because I don't 

I think prs use n/s wire no one said they're sub standard either

It's all personal choice not just one way is best imo Inc SS, I know I won't use it from what others have said about it 

You are of course entitled to share your view and use whatever wire you like

I think most dishwashers and washing machines are 2 yrs or you pay more for extended warranty 
    I know my last one was anyway

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I wasn't talking about cheap fretwire as I wouldn't use it anyway, I've been using the Japanese wire for a good few years and like it alot for what I'm building anyway

I'm not doing ss that's for sure but I will be trying jescar nickel and evo just to see for myself what it's like, it's the tone I'm interested too
    I've got a guitar with Jescar frets and I'd say there isn't much of a noticable difference between the hardness between the Jescar frets and the Japanese ones on the guitar of yours I had.  My Epi LPC however has the softest frets I've come across though. 

What size Jescar frets are you planning to go for?  I like EVO Golds a lot, I'd choose them when a few of my guitars need refrets. 

tFB Trader
    I wasn't talking about cheap fretwire as I wouldn't use it anyway, I've been using the Japanese wire for a good few years and like it alot for what I'm building anyway

I'm not doing ss that's for sure but I will be trying jescar nickel and evo just to see for myself what it's like, it's the tone I'm interested too
    I've got a guitar with Jescar frets and I'd say there isn't much of a noticable difference between the hardness between the Jescar frets and the Japanese ones on the guitar of yours I had.  My Epi LPC however has the softest frets I've come across though. 

What size Jescar frets are you planning to go for?  I like EVO Golds a lot, I'd choose them when a few of my guitars need refrets. 

47095 seems close but mine are slightly taller but I'll look into it first to check and I'll try both

I'm not expecting much difference between the n/s but the evo seems a good compromise between n/s and ss

I'm not sure I'll like the gold colour on everything though as I'm a traditionalist really
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Roland said:
    Roland said:
    Personally I find the idea of soft nickle frets offensive. It indicates substandard material choice. ...
    If I buy something, other than a consumable, I expect it to last at least five years of normal use. For example, branded dishwashers and washing machines are warranted to work for five years without failure. 

So if a guitar needs refretting in less than five years of normal use then I would consider that the builder had used substandard fretwire.
    But frets are consumables! Leo Fender designed whole flipping neck as a consumable! :confounded:
    tFB Trader
    DLM said:
    Roland said:
    Roland said:

But frets are consumables! Leo Fender designed whole flipping neck as a consumable! :confounded:
    you know I think you're right, well said
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    edited September 2017
     47095 seems close but mine are slightly taller but I'll look into it first to check and I'll try both

I'm not expecting much difference between the n/s but the evo seems a good compromise between n/s and ss

I'm not sure I'll like the gold colour on everything though as I'm a traditionalist really
    Yeah, the gold coloured frets are a bit of a weird thing.  I'm not sure they'd look right in all situations but it's down to the owner of the guitar really. 

I had a guitar on loan with Gold Evo 47095 and they seemed excellent.  
  • ADPADP Frets: 184
    PRS use Jescar frets.
  • I adore the SS frets on my Cabronita (whatever USACG use; Dunlop I think). Almost 5 years old, never been polished, still shiny and wonderful to bend on.

I like the sound too, but then I like everything very toppy compared with most
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Never use anything but ss. Sounds great plays great
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16694
    I adore the SS frets on my Cabronita (whatever USACG use; Dunlop I think). Almost 5 years old, never been polished, still shiny and wonderful to bend on.

I like the sound too, but then I like everything very toppy compared with most

Oi, I distinctly remember polishing the buggers 5 years ago!!

;)
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    edited September 2017
    I like EVO gold
    It looks gorgeous ( more soft bronze than brassy yellow gold )
    and it lasts so well. 
    I recall reading that on the Vickers hardness scale:
    N/S 180,  EVO 250, S/S 300
    ( figures edited to correct ) 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    I love playing on them but I hate installing them.
    edited September 2017 tFB Trader
    I like EVO gold
    It looks gorgeous ( more soft bronze than brassy yellow gold )
    and it lasts so well. 
    I recall reading that on the Vickers hardness scale:
    N/S 180,  EVO 300, S/S 350

I love the interweb, thanks 

I read my n/s wire was 175 
    Jescar 200 
    Evo 250
    SS 300

No idea which is right either 

I don't think I'll personally use ss
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)