Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your most favouritest piece of Classical Music

What's Hot

Comments

• Changes all the time, but at the minute it'd be Cesar Franck - Sonata for Violin and Piano in A

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6155
    As others have said, it varies all the time, but I always keep coming back to two choral pieces:

And:

(Must be boy sopranos, too!)
  • Carmina Burana by Karl Orff 
    The whole thing not just the famous bit, basically bawdy songs from monks. 

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    edited September 2017
    So many to choose from, but possible Mahler's Symphony Nbr 5, Adagietto. Makes the hairs on my neck stand up.

I love romantic composers, anything with soaring strings will get me going.

Tannhauser Overture, SIegfryd Idyl, prelude to Act III Lohegrin, all of these by Wagner.

Finlandia Suite, and Symphony in D minor, for Violin, Sibelius

Classical music is a huge sea of music that you can easily get lost in, or take the wrong course.

I like a lot of modern compsoers too, as in ones that are still alive!

But all in, its the big emotional stuff that I like, rather than the small scale pieces. Classical music regularly makes me well up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Zadoc the Priest by Handel. I love a good sing-a-long tune.

Good call on Carl Orff. 'O Fortuna' adds a wonderful element of drama while parking your breakfast.
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Rocker said:

Chopin Preludes
    Especially no 15, the so-called "Raindrop" prelude. A pretty extreme mood change in the middle...
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited September 2017
    Not proper classical but breath taking.

Cavalleria Rusticana: Intermezzo Sinfonico

• GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    This, without question, especially when the greatest tenor of all, Jussi Bjoerling, is singing it with Merrill.

It gives me goosebumps every time. Bjoerling had the most musical voice and effortless vibrato I have ever heard in my life.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• vizviz Frets: 10699
    axisus said:
    Tchaikovsky's 6th Symphony, and in particular the last movement. It is heart-wrenchingly sad and tears at your soul. 
    Yes that really is a bloody amazing piece. In fact that's 2nd on my list. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    Megii said:
    viz said:
    Rach 2
    Fixed that for you... (just kidding, forgive me! :D )
    Haha yes well they're both incredible. I love Rach 2. I absolutely love it. It is creamiest aural experience ever. But 3 just has that extra sense of intrigue and journey that 2 doesn't; I will never tire of it. Volodos and Berlin Phil is my fave recording of it. It's ..... awse. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    edited September 2017
    And, a little La Boheme- with Jussi's tiny frozen hand. Again, what effortless vibrato.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

edited September 2017
    goldtop said:
    As others have said, it varies all the time, but I always keep coming back to two choral pieces:

(Must be boy sopranos, too!)
    Have you heard Ian Barter's amazing performance? Honestly he's like a church organ. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    viz said:
    Megii said:
    viz said:
    Rach 2
    Fixed that for you... (just kidding, forgive me! :D )
    Haha yes well they're both incredible. I love Rach 2. I absolutely love it. It is creamiest aural experience ever. But 3 just has that extra sense of intrigue and journey that 2 doesn't; I will never tire of it. Volodos and Berlin Phil is my fave recording of it. It's ..... awse. 
    You do make a very strong case for 3 I must say @viz, rightly so - I should listen to that one more. Although I think there's plenty of depth to Rach 2, and the second movement gets me every time... Wonderful that we have them both really.
  • westwest Frets: 996

• westwest Frets: 996

Oh bliss! Bliss and heaven! Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh. It was like a bird of rarest-spun heaven metal or like silvery wine flowing in a spaceship, gravity all nonsense now. As I slooshied, I knew such lovely pictures!
    edited September 2017
    Megii said:
    viz said:
    Megii said:
    viz said:
    Rach 2
    Fixed that for you... (just kidding, forgive me! D )
    You do make a very strong case for 3 I must say @viz, rightly so - I should listen to that one more. Although I think there's plenty of depth to Rach 2, and the second movement gets me every time... Wonderful that we have them both really.
    Well yes indeed! And indeed 1 is gorgeous if a little simpler, and 4 is incredible if a little episodic and hotchpotch, especially the monna vanna version. And then of course we have the symphonies especially the 2nd and 3rd, and the symphonic dances and paganini rhapsody, then all the piano pieces - chopin and corelli variations obvs, but also both etudes tableaux sets and the preludes and the 2 sonatas, then the 90-odd songs some of which are absolutely gorgeous, and then we've got Isle of the Dead and the Rock and Rotislav and all that lot, then the 3 operas and the two liturgical choral pieces, well three if you include wassname, oh and the cello sonata and the pretty little unfinished chamber works, plus those other pieces for cello etc, and his early short piano works, and, and, and, well it's all truly amazing Rachmaninov is ace. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    Not proper classical but breath taking.

Cavalleria Rusticana: Intermezzo Sinfonico

masterclass in arrangement and counterpoint for a string and woodwind section
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    I would choose the frought madness of Beethoven or the revolutionary genius of J S Bach
    Bach Cminor prelude from the well tempered clavier
    Beethoven 3rd movement of the Moonlight or Fminor Appasionata opus 57
  • easy answer for me.

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310

Koyunbaba Moderato

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to