Fender American Vintage vs. Custom Shop Jazzmaster (or something else?)

What's Hot
LoobsLoobs Frets: 3834
Hi all. I want to get myself a Jazzmaster soon. I'd like something vintage styled, so I was looking at used AVRI (discontinued) or the newer American Vintage '65 (in white w/ matching headstock, really cool). Then I thought, maybe it's worth extending the budget to a CS, for example like this https://www.coda-music.com/electric-guitars/fender-custom-shop-62-jazzmaster-nos-sunburst-18487.html

Have any of you experience playing a custom shop guitar side-by-side one from the american vintage series? Is there much difference in quality? For what it's worth, I would probably also upgrade the bridge to a Mastery, I recently did a session on a borrowed Jaguar where the owner had replaced the bridge for a Mastery and I was most impressed.

Thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    IME the finish on a CS model usually feels way nicer than on an AVRI - I've noticed they can be very sticky and gloopy, and the CS ones are usually much better. In terms of the guitar itself, either have the potential to be very nice obviously.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • I’d agree with the above with respect to the AVRI 62s, but not the AV65s - these are exceptionally well finished, comparable with CS tbh. Having had both AV models, the 65 is a step up in all aspects. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Loobs said:
    Have any of you experience playing a custom shop guitar side-by-side one from the american vintage series?
    Relic Nocaster versus pre-2012 AVRI '52 Telecaster.

Bucket said:
    IME the finish on a CS model usually feels way nicer than on an AVRI - I've noticed they can be very sticky and gloopy, and the CS ones are usually much better. In terms of the guitar itself, either have the potential to be very nice obviously.
    ^
    Most of this.

AVRI series instruments are a recreation of period instruments in new condition. Nitro-cellulose can take a very long time to cure fully. Hence, the smell, the stickiness and the slightly uneven feel.

On Custom Shop instruments, efforts have been made to simulate decades of finish curing and natural wear. They probably apply less of it to begin with and allow it to sink in to the wood. 

The pre-2012 AVRI pickups can be disappointing. On the CS guitar, I felt no urge to change the pickups. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3834
    I’d agree with the above with respect to the AVRI 62s, but not the AV65s - these are exceptionally well finished, comparable with CS tbh. Having had both AV models, the 65 is a step up in all aspects. 
    I thought as much. The 65 looks like a great choice.
  • Loobs said:
    the newer American Vintage '65 (in white, w/ matching headstock, really cool). 
    A.K.A. the @HarrySeven signature model. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Neck binding is awesome so I'd go AV65 myself. That said, my own JM is an MJT build with Mojo pickups and vintage pickguard. It's the best JM I've ever played, but I knew enough of JMs and my own tastes to be confident in every element of the spec and not end up with something that doesn't click for me. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11465
    No had experience of the Jazzmasters but I have an AVRI Strat.  I've also owned a CS Tele in the past.  I''ve got no particular axe to grind one way or the other.

What I would say is you can get really great AVRIs, and you can get less good ones.  The same is true of the CS guitars.  The ratio of great to not so great ones will be higher with the CS guitars, but it does depend on the individual guitar.

Go and try a bunch - and personally I wouldn't rule out Mexican ones either.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5446
    I’d go check out the BilT Relevators that Coda has in stock. They are around the same as CS pricing but have better pickups, hardware and and are hand-built start to finish. Very nice guitars. 

If you’re ok with simpler switching (and relicing) then also check out the Novo Serus J that Coda has at the same time. The magic in the Novos seems to be in the wood - they do have straight up P90s though rather than JM-style pickups. 
    Whitecat said:
    I’d go check out the BilT Relevators that Coda has in stock. They are around the same as CS pricing but have better pickups, hardware and and are hand-built start to finish. Very nice guitars. 

If you’re ok with simpler switching (and relicing) then also check out the Novo Serus J that Coda has at the same time. The magic in the Novos seems to be in the wood - they do have straight up P90s though rather than JM-style pickups. 
    I prefer JM pickups to P90s. I am not into relics. The BilTs and Novos are cool instruments but I'm not sure I want something so quirky. I find the shape of them nowhere near as appealing as a JM. 

Looks like maybe I should seek out an oly white '65 American Vintage JM.  :#
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    crunchman said:
    No had experience of the Jazzmasters but I have an AVRI Strat.  I've also owned a CS Tele in the past.  I''ve got no particular axe to grind one way or the other.

What I would say is you can get really great AVRIs, and you can get less good ones.  The same is true of the CS guitars.  The ratio of great to not so great ones will be higher with the CS guitars, but it does depend on the individual guitar.

Go and try a bunch - and personally I wouldn't rule out Mexican ones either.
    Played the classic 60s lacquer JM last weekend at GAK while I was in Brighton doing a gig. Was really impressed actually. 
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7197
    edited September 2017
    Loobs said:
    Whitecat said:

I prefer JM pickups to P90s. I am not into relics. The BilTs and Novos are cool instruments but I'm not sure I want something so quirky. I find the shape of them nowhere near as appealing as a JM. 

Looks like maybe I should seek out an Aztec gold '65 American Vintage JM. 
    Fixed. 

http://i.imgur.com/JMetI7B.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited September 2017
    Whitecat said:
    I've played most of the ones Coda have in stock, and I didn't think any of them came up to the standard of the CS Jazzmasters in feel, specifically neck profile and finish etc.

Shame, because they are fantastic-looking instruments.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."