Squeaking oven hinges

What's Hot

Hi

the hinges on my oven door squeak like crazy when I have the oven on, but not when it's off and has cooled down, which is suggesting it's due to heat.

I'm wondering if copper or ceramic grease would be provide the best lubrication?  I can get wee tubes of these on eBay for £4 so I can.

Thanks!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72716
    Copper grease will probably work.

The bad news is that when ours started doing that, it was about a year before the door fell off due to the hinges having worn out.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Copper grease will probably work.

The bad news is that when ours started doing that, it was about a year before the door fell off due to the hinges having worn out.

Thanks, I had a feel that you'd know! 

The oven is only new, it's a CDA, which is not a good make.  I was horrified when I read the reviews of them. 

• stick some C4 on the front and blast the fucker into smithereens, that should stop the squeaking.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    The other lube to consider might be the stuff put on the back of break pads, it might be reasonably heat resistant. Both that and copper grease look like they have some mineral oil content so you might want to heat the oven and vent it once before enclosing food in the confined space.
  • Thanks again.  My mum put WD40 on the hinges today, after I told her Not to!
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    WD40 is mainly fish oil so probably not too toxic to food, but I suspect it will burn off in short order.
    The other dry lubricant that occures to me is graphite, getting it where it's needed might be tough, perhaps rubbing it over the joints with beeswax and letting the heat pull it in.
  • Im on the phone with CDA now, to book an engineer visit to have someone look at it to keep my wee mum happy.  I've heard so many bad things about CDA that I'm dreading doing business with them.  The oven is only 3 months old and already a problem!!! 
  • It could be that the hinges have been knocked out of alignment. Loosen and retightening the bolts might help.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• It could be that the hinges have been knocked out of alignment. Loosen and retightening the bolts might help.

That is possible, when my mum was taking a tray out of the oven she dropped it on to the door.  It wasn't a very heavy tray, but that may have been the cause. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6266
    I thought this was a phrase from the Profanisaurus!

"Good grief Bailey, after last night's Vindaloo, I got up this morning and I didn't half have some squeaking oven hinges, I can tell you" Said Prince Charles to his butler.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12447
    CDA appliances are awful. We had a Howdens kitchen put in a couple of years back and they feature CDA gear in their catalogue. You only have to read the reviews to realise it's nasty, badly designed crap, so we went for something better quality. Hope their engineer manages to sort it out for your mum. 

I've heard so many bad things about CDA that I'm dreading doing business with them.  The oven is only 3 months old and already a problem!!! 
    When I said ours started it about a year before the hinges broke, I should have added that it was a 25 year old Hotpoint...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• boogieman said:
    CDA appliances are awful. We had a Howdens kitchen put in a couple of years back and they feature CDA gear in their catalogue. You only have to read the reviews to realise it's nasty, badly designed crap, so we went for something better quality. Hope their engineer manages to sort it out for your mum. 
    Cheers mate.   The company who installed our kitchen only had CDA stuff in their catalogue as far as I remembered.  It wasnt until it was installed that I read the reviews and instantly regretted it!  I would have chosen different appliances, and even given the extra money myself for them.  

ICBM said:

I've heard so many bad things about CDA that I'm dreading doing business with them.  The oven is only 3 months old and already a problem!!! 
    When I said ours started it about a year before the hinges broke, I should have added that it was a 25 year old Hotpoint...
    That shows the quality of Hotpoint - 25 years old and was still going strong.  
    bingefeller said:

That shows the quality of Hotpoint - 25 years old and was still going strong.  
    To be fair, the glass panel had fallen out of the door about a year before that as well, which I fixed, and the fan had started to get very noisy. Given that it owed us nothing and we weren't convinced it was very efficient by modern standards we decided to finally replace it. If the new one - Zanussi - lasts that long I will be impressed...

3 months is taking the piss by any standards though.

• Stop pissing about, binge. Just get a new one from AO.com, then lay back and enjoy all the gratuitous blowjobs the missus will give you for getting her a new oven, and making her life complete.

No, don't thank me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The engineer from CDA came out today and fixed it!!  He didn't even bother to turn the oven on - he just replaced the hinges and checked everything else was OK.  My wee mum was very impressed as am I because CDA seem to have a bad reputation online.  I couldn't fault their service on this occasion. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    Sounds like you have a dent in the door. Specifically a Ro-dent
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    Reading some of the comments on here - copper grease is not suited as a lubricant for hinges or other moving areas, it's best used as anti seize on nuts/bolts.

This is because it's got small bits of copper in it - would you really want to introduce small pieces of grit to an area of high friction?

Use lithium grease instead.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    Stop pissing about, binge. Just get a new one from AO.com, then lay back and enjoy all the gratuitous blowjobs the missus will give you for getting her a new oven, and making her life complete.

No, don't thank me.
    Hey, that's his mum you're talking about!!!
  • Sassafras said:
    Stop pissing about, binge. Just get a new one from AO.com, then lay back and enjoy all the gratuitous blowjobs the missus will give you for getting her a new oven, and making her life complete.

No, don't thank me.
    Hey, that's his mum you're talking about!!!
    He knows...