Schaller Straplocks or Schaller "Style"?

What's Hot

Looking to get a set of straplocks, originally wanted the Dunlop but as they were going for £20 I thought about the Schaller ones.

These aren't coming up much cheaper, but then I saw "Schaller style" straplocks for about £4.

Am I taking a risk going for the cheaper option?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• How much is your guitar worth..?
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    edited September 2017
    You can buy Schaller strap locks on Amazon for a tenner.
  • @FelineGuitars sells the dunlop ones for a very reasonable price. Jonathan got what I needed to me in double quick time too! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Are Schaller ones the ones that make a horrible metal on metal noise every time you move the strap? I have them on one of my guitars and hate them.

I really like the Dunlop ones, nice and easy to use and quiet.
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Well provided they're the same as mine I sell at £3/set, they're good.
    I've used them on my very own guitars for years without trouble.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • Grolsch washers. Seriously. Miles better than either Schaller or Dunlop locks.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Yeah, Grolsch washers, no question. I've had a scary moment with a Schaller one which led me to discover that if the entry slot for the peg happened to be facing the ground, and you put enough downward force on the guitar, they could pop out. Maybe the set I had was defective somehow, but the Grolsch washer way is better IMO because they don't see a lot of force in typical playing situations - they'd only come out with a lot of *lateral* force.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader
    If you value your guitar avoid the cheaper knockoff ones

The whole point is to keep your guitar safe, and we have had countless repairs to do where a straplock has failed and every time it is a Schaller look alike

We sell the Dunlop ones and we sell extra buttons o you can share a strap between guitars
    The Dunlop buttons are big and can happily be used without the strap bit or with a Grolsch washer

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4940
    I've found that the cheaper buttons may not latch so easily to Schaller locks on the strap and vice-versa.
    The genuine Schallers latch together without needing to pull the pin out.
    I've had one cheap one which won't fit into the Schaller lock.

• I'm going to get the Dunlop ones. I have them on my Mex and love them, but forgot how expensive they were.

Still, it's a one off purchase and it's better to be safe than sorry!

I've had the Schaller ones on previous guitars and whilst they are not bad I don't like the protruding pin.

Not keen on the Grolsch tops, I know they work, but they just look a bit ......... off.

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    SNAKEBITE said:

Not keen on the Grolsch tops, I know they work, but they just look a bit ......... off.

Yeah but by the time you've drunk 4 of them, who cares?  =)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SparkySparky Frets: 90
    edited September 2017
    underdog said:
    Are Schaller ones the ones that make a horrible metal on metal noise every time you move the strap? I have them on one of my guitars and hate them.

Same here. I let them go with my last guitar sale. Grolsch bottle cap washers all the way for me. A free beer with every one, guaranteed. Embrace the retro!
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Sparky said:
    underdog said:

Same here. I let them go with my last guitar sale. Grolsch bottle cap washers all the way for me. A free beer with every one, guaranteed. Embrace the retro!

I've got Dunlop on my expensive LP (they came with it from Gibson) and really like them but as a home only player can't justify the cost of them for all my guitars, so now gone the rubber washer router on the rest so each guitar has its strap.