More Gumtree Shenanigans

We're all aware of selling used gear on whatever platforms there's a range of time wasters, fantasists and downright weirdos, goes with the territory , but one I had this week seemed little bit more calculated. Anything I sell these days I tend to take approach of being polite but make clear cash on collection and won't go out of my way to inconvenience myself I.e can only come and look or pick up when I plan on being around, at a time that suits me ( unless it's someone on here who feedback tells me they genuine ). This week had a guy "Michael" on gumtree wanted my Bulldog, messaged him to say had a guy who offered me asking price but I was going to have to bring it up to London on way to work next week, so if could come and collect by weekend could have. Had whole story about would be thurs or Friday depending on work commitments , messaged me Thursday to say would be Friday, would get cash out in morning etc. About hour before he was due to arrive decided to check if actually PayPal would be ok. I said no as have had someone trying to scam me previously . Suffice to say he didn't turn up and radio silence from that point on. Had a bit of experience selling stuff over the years and this one did feel like someone who knew what they were doing.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• yes, wise to refuse paypal. i had similar last year (on  a £80 guitar) all well and good arranged a time and about hour before he called saying he couldnt get the cash out, would paypal be ok, i said sorry i dont have a paypal account. He said hed get back to me, never heard from again.. I accept a bit of time wastery as on the whole i do ok with my occasional sales on gumtree 
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5059
    edited September 2017
    I sold my Lazy J20 via Facebook yesterday, it sold the same day I listed it. I'd had it on gumtree for a few days before that and had one guy make a low offer and then silence after my polite reply. Then two days later he emailed again and said would I deliver it to Swindon that same day. Er, no!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • I sold my Lazy J20 via Facebook yesterday, it sold the same day I listed it. I'd had it on gumtree for a few days before that and had one guy make a low offer and then silence after my polite reply. Then two days later he emailed again and said would I deliver it to Swindon that same day. Er, no!
    Are there any particular groups or whatever that are good for buying and selling on Facebook? 
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!