Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

1235»

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24345
    OK, how about a bit of fun.  A contest as to who can find the most outrageous markup on a Russ Andrews product...  The rules are simple - you find a product that is clearly no better than its budget mainstream equivalent (say a lead or something) then find the cheapest price you can get that for and the equivalent bullshit item on RA's site.

I'll start ! - 3.0M USB A to B cable...  eBay £1.34 delivered. (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-USB-2-0-A-to-B-Printer-Cable-HP-Epson-Lexmark-Canon-/350422896836?epid=1488222445&hash=item5196d510c4:m:mdp8aWKeo4VMKwE16P-vJRA)

Russ Andrew's 3.0m USB cable - £2695.00 (http://www.russandrews.com/ks2416-ag-usb-cable/)

Markup: 201,019 % !!!

(https://www.omnicalculator.com/business/markup)
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rocker said:

You'd be better off spending the same amount on upgrading your CD player, amp, or speakers.

True if your hi-fi system cost less than £2K, there is no point in spending serious money on cables. The consensus is spend around £200 on cables for such a system. They will make a positive difference. However if your system cost £20K or more, cables like the much derided RA cables will make a huge difference, one that will literally be jaw dropping. The only RA cable in my system is from the mains block to the wall socket. I use it because it is the right length, almost everything else is pure silver wires. They cost a lot less than RA stuff, a lot less than a Squire PJ bass I looked at recently, but they work exceptionally well and their use is a no brainer. I may in time replace the RA cable with a silver one but there is no great urgency in that as the music sounds so good as it is.
    Do you believe that self-delusion over what human senses perceive is a legitimate, scientific possibility for anyone? I'm not specifically saying that this is happening with your Russ Andrews stuff, but do you think it can happen for people?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    @Rocker - disparages a chap who jiggles his leg in a restaurant, believes Russ Andrews, and is literally 'holier than thou'.  Says a lot....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • All I know is there is alot of money to be made when you can sell someone something that shows a difference in hearing something others cannot. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • File next to Klon and Dumble
    And the quickly read @4114Effects thread in fx and have a quick chuckle.
  • Rocker said:

You'd be better off spending the same amount on upgrading your CD player, amp, or speakers.

True if your hi-fi system cost less than £2K, there is no point in spending serious money on cables. The consensus is spend around £200 on cables for such a system. They will make a positive difference. However if your system cost £20K or more, cables like the much derided RA cables will make a huge difference, one that will literally be jaw dropping. The only RA cable in my system is from the mains block to the wall socket. I use it because it is the right length, almost everything else is pure silver wires. They cost a lot less than RA stuff, a lot less than a Squire PJ bass I looked at recently, but they work exceptionally well and their use is a no brainer. I may in time replace the RA cable with a silver one but there is no great urgency in that as the music sounds so good as it is.

My last words on it - I've been a hi-fi fan for 40 years, my current system did indeed cost £20K and I think Russ Andrews is a massive fraud who makes shitloads of money out of the cork-sniffers in the hi-fi world who have more money than sense.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28369
    I like the cult-ish approach of the audiotards - they can't propose any mechanism consistent with the laws of physics that explains how a mains cable could change the output of any well-designed audio device, so they go with persecution complex or insults (if you can't afford it, if your hearing isn't good enough, blah blah blah).

Also Machina Dynamica, a site that proves it is impossible to differentiate top-notch parody from real audiophile rip-off sites...

http://www.machinadynamica.com/
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited September 2017
    File next to Klon and Dumble
    Ah, but I've played a couple of Klons and they do actually make a tangible difference to the sound. I have never played or even seen a Dumble, but I have no doubt that would make a tangible difference to my sound as well. Same with Blackmachine - there is folklore surrounding them, and sometimes that leads to doubt as to whether they make a difference for the extra money compared to other products, but when you get in the room with one you tend to understand where the hype comes from.

A Russ Andrews power cable which he probably buys in bulk from Maplin and then sells for £3k to fucking idiots? Not so much.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    Bucket said:

A Russ Andrews power cable which he probably buys in bulk from Maplin and then sells for £3k to fucking idiots? Not so much.
    When I built mine I had a look at some of the fancy mains connectors - they aren't cheap to buy, even in bulk. I also think a fair bit of work does go into making these, with the braiding and the block of wood stuck to the middle.

I'm not saying it's worth it, mind, but with a sensible mark-up from construction costs I think one of these would be about £100-150 depending on where it's assembled.
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Bucket said:
    File next to Klon and Dumble
    Ah, but I've played a couple of Klons and they do actually make a tangible difference to the sound. I have never played or even seen a Dumble, but I have no doubt that would make a tangible difference to my sound as well. Same with Blackmachine - there is folklore surrounding them, and sometimes that leads to doubt as to whether they make a difference for the extra money compared to other products, but when you get in the room with one you tend to understand where the hype comes from.

Nah. Maplin are expensive. He won't even be paying those prices for his cable ... 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    I don't doubt Mr Andrews uses decent and probably expensive parts to make up his cables (they have to at least look the part after all) but there's a huge mark up on the manufacturing cost. I doubt they make any difference except to audiotards who want to hear the difference. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72409
    They certainly use expensive parts and probably fairly labour-intensive assembly methods, but the point is that they're irrelevant.

It's like having a table knife made by hand from aircraft-grade titanium or something - it would cost a lot to make, and could legitimately be priced to reflect that, but it wouldn't actually make your dinner taste any better than a cheap stainless steel one.

And even given the materials and the assembly, I suspect they're drastically overpriced.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I do not disagree with any of that.

I would, though, like to see the percentage margin on a £3 IEC lead for comparison.
  • Sporky said:

If you learned (through scientific tests or admission of bullshittery from RA) unequivocally that the sound improvement you are hearing is placebo-style self-delusion at the "ear end" of the listening process and not an actual change to the sound you are hearing would you still consider it to be money well spent? After all, you are perceiving the music differently, even though it is the same sound.
    And the thing about placebos is they're meant to be much cheaper than the "active" alternative.

£1500 for a placebo seems silly when I made a fancy-looking mains cable for about a tenner. Add a blob in the middle - about an hour with the lathe - and you're there.

http://www.monkeyfx.co.uk/pictures/FancyMainsCable.JPG

Rayon covered cable for,  erm, something, transparent 3-pin plug for, erm, transparency, and white (aka hospital grade) IEC end for cleanliness.

Not gonna lie, I'd have that cable. Would look ace coming from a vox. :) 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4920
    @ThePrettyDamned he'll probably let you have it for £1500...

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Emp_Fab said:
    OK, how about a bit of fun.  A contest as to who can find the most outrageous markup on a Russ Andrews product...  The rules are simple - you find a product that is clearly no better than its budget mainstream equivalent (say a lead or something) then find the cheapest price you can get that for and the equivalent bullshit item on RA's site.

I'll start ! - 3.0M USB A to B cable...  eBay £1.34 delivered. (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-USB-2-0-A-to-B-Printer-Cable-HP-Epson-Lexmark-Canon-/350422896836?epid=1488222445&hash=item5196d510c4:m:mdp8aWKeo4VMKwE16P-vJRA)

Russ Andrew's 3.0m USB cable - £2695.00 (http://www.russandrews.com/ks2416-ag-usb-cable/)

Markup: 201,019 % !!!

(https://www.omnicalculator.com/business/markup)
    To be fair, you probably want to pick a decent USB cable for the comparison.

My daughters keep destroying charging cables for out Samsung tablet.  If I buy a decent one (£10 rather than £3) it will last a year or 18 months rather than 6 months.  They would probably destroy those £1.34 ones in a matter of weeks.

Not gonna lie, I'd have that cable. Would look ace coming from a vox. :) 
    Wide range of different braids available...
    Nitefly said:
    @ThePrettyDamned he'll probably let you have it for £1500...

I'd let you have it for a lot less than that. Even £150 seems excessive (though I wouldn't turn it down).

Plug - £2.99

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAINS-POWER-UK-3-PIN-FUSED-PLUG-3A-5A-10A-13A-BLACK-WHITE-TRANSPARENT-REWIREABLE-/361264912553?var=&hash=item541d1118a9

Socket - £2.76

http://cpc.farnell.com/bulgin/px0587-wh/rewireable-free-socket-str-white/dp/CN10163

Cable - about £2-3 per metre:

https://www.creative-cables.co.uk/2262-lighting-cables