Difference between 22 and 24 fret guitars

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I have full blown man flu.
    What effect does that have on your hearing and/or aural perception?  ;)
    I'm dying 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72494
    Hmmm my '97 CE 24 doesn't seem to have any noticeable dead spots.
    It probably won't - it was a problem on the mahogany-necked Custom 24, but even then they don't all have it.

but it's perhaps the overall tone that I'm getting at. 
    It depends on a number of factors. A maple neck will generally sound brighter than a mahogany one given the same type of body. A maple cap on the body will generally sound brighter than a plain mahogany or alder body given the same type of neck, and so on. Individual guitars with different combinations will vary depending on which is the dominant factor for the particular pieces of wood.

Equally a friend of mine has just bought a Custom 24 - which I don't normally get on with, and nor did he with his last one - and it sounds really full, much more like a 22-fret one would normally. Why? Because no two pieces of wood are quite the same.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I'll be so annoyed if it turns out the type of wood affects tone. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'll be so annoyed if it turns out the type of wood affects tone. 
    Surely if it does it's by a fraction of 1% and easily dialled out in the amp?

SORRY JOKING - I'm just not going in that thread! ;)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    I'll be so annoyed if it turns out the type of wood affects tone. 
    I know what you mean. I was really pissed off that I could easily tell the difference between my Custom 22 and my Standard 22 - identical other than the Custom's maple cap - because it meant I couldn't use either as a backup for the other without having to adjust the amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    I'll be so annoyed if it turns out the type of wood affects tone. 
    I know what you mean. I was really pissed off that I could easily tell the difference between my Custom 22 and my Standard 22 - identical other than the Custom's maple cap - because it meant I couldn't use either as a backup for the other without having to adjust the amp.
    Tbf I use so much gain and fx that the guitar is more of a trigger device at that stage. 
    professorben said:

Tbf I use so much gain and fx that the guitar is more of a trigger device at that stage. 
    So did I sometimes :). If you're using a Fuzz Factory and an octaver and running it through a resonant filter, you could probably be playing a banjo with a pickup on it and it wouldn't make any difference...

• ICBM said:
    professorben said:

So did I sometimes :). If you're using a Fuzz Factory and an octaver and running it through a resonant filter, you could probably be playing a banjo with a pickup on it and it wouldn't make any difference...

But the audience would judge you if you played a banjo instead of a guitar.  They might not know anything about tone, but they sure do know about judging banjo players.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    professorben said:

But the audience would judge you if you played a banjo instead of a guitar.  They might not know anything about tone, but they sure do know about judging banjo players.
    Well that's to be expected. 
    We have not reached the 'end times' yet.