• BrizeBrize Frets: 5630
    The one with humbuckers or P-90s?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980
    HBs Brize my man
    tae be or not tae be
    The humbucker versions have been around for a couple of years now - the only downside (for some) is the Richlite board.

The P-90 version, released this year, has a rosewood board.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980
    ta :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • I don't think richlite is a negative in my opinion, I understand the love of rosewood, but realistically it's something that needs to be phased out, like using all common tone woods, don't get me wrong it's bad for us but good for the environment. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14327
    tFB Trader
    sold them in the past but not played/touched a newer version - just a 175 with P90's and a gold top finish in essence but look cool - rockabilly heaven effectively
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72539
    sold them in the past but not played/touched a newer version - just a 175 with P90's and a gold top finish in essence but look cool - rockabilly heaven effectively
    That's a 295 :).

The 275 is more of a scaled-down Byrdland, although with a normal scale length (I think).

Probably the nicest new Gibson for a very long time.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27165
    edited September 2017
    Spent 30 mins with one in Coda a year ago. A marvellous guitar.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14327
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

The 275 is more of a scaled-down Byrdland, although with a normal scale length (I think).

Probably the nicest new Gibson for a very long time.
    sorry - misread and miss understood and you are correct - and I'm telling my daughter, who is taking exams this year, to read the question first - !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Here's the P-90 version:

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That is lovely!! Phwoar!!
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    Brize said:
    Here's the P-90 version:

Now, I really really like that B) It goes straight onto my Christmas list. Dear Santa........

btw: Nice fireplace too :)

• lewismlewism Frets: 250
    Brize said:
    Here's the P-90 version:

For a modern Gibson, that's lovely - largely because it looks like it's from 1955! I like the old style logo. Are these fully hollow or do they have a centre block?
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    edited September 2017
    Brize said:
    The humbucker versions have been around for a couple of years now - the only downside (for some) is the Richlite board.

The P-90 version, released this year, has a rosewood board.
    I thought it was the ones with the ES-345 style "split-parallelogram" inlays that had rosewood fingerboards? The ones with the block inlays have richlite in place of the traditional ebony (same with the new ES-355s).

Either way, they look stunning and I'd love to try one. While Gibson have come up with some eccentric new designs in recent years (Dusk Fire Turkey XXX or whatever it was) this one would appear to be a wonderful new design that would appeal to those who love the idea of a hollowbody but find the full depth models a bit daunting (and still want something that works just as well for rock & pop styles). I realise the above model is probably not a million miles from the ES330 but it has the higher neck/body join and floating bridge, as well as humbucker options.

And full marks to @Brize for owning the nicest guitar and fireplace combination I've ever seen. 
    Basher said:

I thought it was the ones with the ES-345 style "split-parallelogram" inlays that had rosewood fingerboards? The ones with the block inlays have richlite in place of the traditional ebony (same with the new ES-355s).
    That's right, but I believe all of the block/ebony guitars had buckers whereas the split-parrallellogram/rosewood models have P-90s.
    lewism said:

For a modern Gibson, that's lovely - largely because it looks like it's from 1955! I like the old style logo. Are these fully hollow or do they have a centre block?
    They're fully hollow.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    ICBM said:

That'd be scaled up strictly speaking ;)

(Or did you mean blinged-down ? ;) )
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    edited September 2017
    Brize said:
    Basher said:

That's right, but I believe all of the block/ebony guitars had buckers whereas the split-parrallellogram/rosewood models have P-90s.
    There was definitely a split-parallelogram/rosewood model with humbuckers. It may have just been the cherry finish only though. I remember as I was massively tempted when they were on offer a while ago:

Either way, they all look like amazing guitars - P90/bucker/burst/cherry/block/parallelogram/rosewood/richlite etc.
    I think your P90 would possibly be the pick of the bunch though!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Jalapeno said:
    ICBM said:

That'd be scaled up strictly speaking ;)

(Or did you mean blinged-down ? ;) )
    No, scaled-down as in the body is smaller, even though the scale length is normal. (And *also* blinged-down :).)

That's the genius of it - by making the body smaller and the scale slightly longer they've achieved a perfect design where the body joint is at the 16th fret, but the bridge is in the right place and everything looks balanced - to the point that it's not instantly obvious that the body *is* that much smaller.

The previous attempt at a 16th-fret joint on a single-cut hollowbody (style - it's actually semi-solid) is the ES135, which because it's a full-size body, should have the joint at the 14th fret - making it at the 16th puts everything an inch too far to the left on the body and makes it feel ungainly and look wrong.

The 275 is possibly the most 'right' looking guitar they've made since the 1960s, in my opinion.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    But the scale IS longer right ? (Brydlands have 23.5" scale length don't they ?)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    But the scale IS longer right ? (Brydlands have 23.5" scale length don't they ?)
    Yes.