Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Star Trek Discovery

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16754
    Shit. I forgot. This episode brought back my number one post-Abrams Star Trek peeve.

In 200 years, people will not be listening to Wyclef's Bee Gees rip off at parties. Shit, it's 20 years after that fuckawful song came out and nobody listens to Wyclef. When was the last time you walked in to a room full of 20-somethings letting their hair down and heard 200 year old music coming out of the speakers?

What, they can find people who can imagine what people will wear in 200 years, or what a spaceship will look like, or an alien race, but not someone who can imagine what pop music will sound like 200 years from now? Such bullshit.

I was waiting for a "don't you just love classical music" line
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11863
    Jalapeno said:
    Discovery is an excellent show.

There I said it. :)
    It's ok so far I agree (apart from Groundhog day episode)
    See I thought that was the most Trek episode to date.

Reminded me of TNG classic "Cause and Effect"
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV said:
    Shit. I forgot. This episode brought back my number one post-Abrams Star Trek peeve.

In 200 years, people will not be listening to Wyclef's Bee Gees rip off at parties. Shit, it's 20 years after that fuckawful song came out and nobody listens to Wyclef. When was the last time you walked in to a room full of 20-somethings letting their hair down and heard 200 year old music coming out of the speakers?

What, they can find people who can imagine what people will wear in 200 years, or what a spaceship will look like, or an alien race, but not someone who can imagine what pop music will sound like 200 years from now? Such bullshit.

I was waiting for a "don't you just love classical music" line
    That or maybe "it's a shame the nuclear wars of the 21st century destroyed all the good music on Earth and irreversibly damaged the areas of our brains that govern musical taste."

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27182
    I enjoyed it a lot, save for the stupid music choice. I maintain that it is a potentially really good scifi show doing Star Trek dress-up.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    I think it's awful. Apart from the technological inconsistencies, and the "Spock's adopted sister" silliness, the acting is appalling. Having Rainn Wilson on the latest one showed just how poor the performances are from the rest of the cast.
    The Klingon redesign is just bloody ridiculous.
  • I think it's awful. Apart from the technological inconsistencies, and the "Spock's adopted sister" silliness, the acting is appalling. Having Rainn Wilson on the latest one showed just how poor the performances are from the rest of the cast.
    The Klingon redesign is just bloody ridiculous.
    Seriously? Having that gurning pantomime twat on the show made you think the rest of the actors were bad

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2612
    tFB Trader
    EXCELENT new episode...I noticed it was directed by Jonathan Frakes .... Really looking forward to more...
    Rabs said:
    EXCELENT new episode...I noticed it was directed by Jonathan Frakes .... Really looking forward to more...
    He did one of The Orville too.
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Jalapeno said:
    Until it went all Timer-Wimey (death knell of any SF series) I quite liked Enterprise

I don't think I ever watched Enterprise, but I think there ought to be a law: If it's not about time travel right out of the gate, it shouldn't be about time travel. Doctor Who gets a pass, Harry Potter doesn't.

Special exemptions for stories where time travel is a plot twist. Harry Potter still doesn't get a pass.
    For me, the general rule is "If you can't do time travel as well as Continuum, don't do time travel".

Even Doctor Who doesn't get a pass on that basis.

EDIT: The only good time travel story in Star Trek was Voyager's Year of Hell.
    I thought that the script lacked any imagination and the characters are weak. Got half way through the first episode and walked away.
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 416
    The Orville is well worth watching , pretty much The Next Generation with a little humour added , it isn't a parody as some critics are suggesting , a homage maybe .
    Alvin said:
    The Orville is well worth watching , pretty much The Next Generation with a little humour added , it isn't a parody as some critics are suggesting , a homage maybe .
    Yeah, it struggles at first trying to find the right balance between parody and homage.  It’s a grower
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    WezV said:
    Alvin said:
    Yeah, it struggles at first trying to find the right balance between parody and homage.  It’s a grower
    I think The Orville is a better Trek sequel/prequel/sameasquel than Discovery. By quite a way. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    Alvin said:
    I think The Orville is a better Trek sequel/prequel/sameasquel than Discovery. By quite a way. 
    Agreed 100% The Orville had me hooked , it has just the right mix of different elements to it and isn't to serious  - apart from one episode which i thought was unnecessary . I do like the Data (Isaac) android person , they must have got that actor because he sounds like Data .
        Discovery i started to struggle with,  it seemed to be dragging the plot out , hope it picks up as it does have potential . 
    Just watched episode 10 and really enjoyed it .  Tilly as the captain , very good - how did they fall for it ? 
        I'm sure its already been said but i think he best way to watch this is to forget it's called Star Trek . It is supposed to be set before the enterprise but they tech is to good  ,they even have transporters that work perfectly  - but in the original they were in their infancy ? 
         If you want Star Trek watch the Orville .   Discovery just doesn't seem like a Star Trek series to me but enjoyable regardless of it's name .   
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2612
    tFB Trader
    Alvin said:
    Just watched episode 10 and really enjoyed it .  Tilly as the captain , very good - how did they fall for it ? 
        I'm sure its already been said but i think he best way to watch this is to forget it's called Star Trek . It is supposed to be set before the enterprise but they tech is to good  ,they even have transporters that work perfectly  - but in the original they were in their infancy ? 
         If you want Star Trek watch the Orville .   Discovery just doesn't seem like a Star Trek series to me but enjoyable regardless of it's name .   

I thought it was set in between Enterprise and TNG...  That's why they have loads of ships, transporters and they know more about the Klingons....  In Enterprise they only have like 3 ships in total and transporter tech is still brand new.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11863
    Rabs said:
    Alvin said:

I thought it was set in between Enterprise and TNG...  That's why they have loads of ships, transporters and they know more about the Klingons....  In Enterprise they only have like 3 ships in total and transporter tech is still brand new.
    Nerd mode...

Discovery is set 10 years before TOS, the Enterprise of the TOS era is floating around with Pike in command, Kirk at this point would be an officer on a starship somewhere, possibly on the USS Farragut, the times would tie up with the TOS episode "Obsession".

It is set a long time after Enterprise, the level of tech is pretty spot on, and I think it is pretty clear at this point that the spore drive has it's fairly significant downsides.

Everything looks spiffy in Discovery, because lets face it, its a high budget TV show made in the 21st century, not a lower-budget one made in the 60s.  A "visual reboot" was very much in order, and in this respect Discovery owes a lot to the Abrams films.  It is however set in the "prime" universe, so follows that timeline.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Always love a good bit of mirror trek, and loving Captain Killy.

These two eps have been better than all of the first half of the season. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6398
    Always love a good bit of mirror trek, and loving Captain Killy.

These two eps have been better than all of the first half of the season. 
    Yes, especially the latest. Loving it.

Only repeated niggle for me is that for all the Vulcan training the lead protagonist is an emotional wreck most of the time.  I don't mind the Klingon visual reboot.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • kurokuro Frets: 26
    Didn't see that twist coming. Jaw dropped.
    Totally saw that coming. Loved it anyway. 

Did they *eat* mirror-Saru?? :(