Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Hmmnn ........ how can I make a strat more ugly?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
I know, Change the headstock, raise the pickguard up and give it a weird angle compared to the body, and do the most frikking ugly neck join and back plate combo that the world has ever seen. I'm sure everyone will want this ....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    Is it a Suhr?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    JD50 said:
    Is it a Suhr?
    Cp Thornton guitars apparently
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11463
    For a Gibson user wanting a Strat the back angled neck  and 3 a side tuners might be more familiar.  As a result of the back angle, raising the pickguard is probably a necessity.

Not for me, but I can see where it's coming from.
  • Other than a bad relicing job I don't know where you would go from here.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    crunchman said:
    For a Gibson user wanting a Strat the back angled neck  and 3 a side tuners might be more familiar.  As a result of the back angle, raising the pickguard is probably a necessity.

Not for me, but I can see where it's coming from.
    For me it's not seeing the wood for the trees. In creating something that is probably technically 'better', you have thrown aesthetics out of the window. Like creating the idea woman by stitching together the parts of 6 different ones, Frankenstein style.
  • Your all being short sighted this guitar is a giggin guitarist dream, you get a free bottle opener right there on the back. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It’s funny how messing with a classic guitar offends the eye.

The PRS Singlecut is a much uglier guitar than a Les Paul, in spite of the obviousness of its inspiration. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a modified version of a Strat which has the visual appeal of the original.

Whether this is because the originals are so inherently ‘right’ - or we’re simply so used to them that everything looks ‘wrong’ - I don’t know.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    JD50 said:
    Is it a Suhr?
    Cp Thornton guitars apparently
    Here's one of his more traditional looking Strats 

Uggh! terrible headstock! I couldn't live with that.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3402
    crunchman said:
    For a Gibson user wanting a Strat....
    ...there is, apparently, the Gibson Nighthawk
  • axisus said:
    Uggh! terrible headstock! I couldn't live with that.
    It's still better than a Suhr. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    It probably wouldn't look so weird if it had a natural wood finish body.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1850
    Actually, I think the only problem is that it has the strat body shape. I like that fact that attempts to be different. It deserves a more unique body shape to match the innovation. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • I love it
  • steersteer Frets: 1196
    The back is fugly, but the headstock doesn't bother me.

If you buy a genuine fender or squire strat, you want a genuine fender strat design headstock. If you buy any of the 1000's of non-fenders out there, then surely you cant complain that they have not followed the traditional fender design? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6717
    It’s funny how messing with a classic guitar offends the eye.

The PRS Singlecut is a much uglier guitar than a Les Paul, in spite of the obviousness of its inspiration. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a modified version of a Strat which has the visual appeal of the original.

Whether this is because the originals are so inherently ‘right’ - or we’re simply so used to them that everything looks ‘wrong’ - I don’t know.
    I'd say that we get used to certain designs and become hard-and-fast luddites. If we'd never seen a Les Paul then more people would probably like the PRS single cut. I really like them by the way...
  • merlin said:
    I'd say that we get used to certain designs and become hard-and-fast luddites. If we'd never seen a Les Paul then more people would probably like the PRS single cut. I really like them by the way...
    That’s pretty much the point I was making - and I agree - the Singlecut is a great guitar.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11463
    merlin said:
    That’s pretty much the point I was making - and I agree - the Singlecut is a great guitar.
    I like the looks of the Singlecut.

It's funny because I like the Singlecut with no scratchplate but think a Les Paul without a Scratchplate looks wrong.  We do get used to certain things, and think they look "right"
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    The thing on the back looks like a bottle opener.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72539
    axisus said:
    I know, Change the headstock, raise the pickguard up and give it a weird angle compared to the body, and do the most frikking ugly neck join and back plate combo that the world has ever seen. I'm sure everyone will want this ....

All that apparent innovation, and yet it still has the same three generic single coil pickups with the bridge one slanted, the same basic pickguard shape and with the same controls as a Strat. Anyone would think it was still the early 90s...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein