Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Phil Collen

What's Hot
professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
edited September 2017 in Guitar
https://m.soundcloud.com/guitar-player-magazine/episode-56-phil-collen

Just listened to this, fascinating insight into the Def/Mutt recording process and behind the scenes stuff, I like DL, classic British rock, and he's a hell of a player, nailing guitar, vocals night after night. 
" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2592
    tFB Trader
    I have been a fan since seeing them live on the slang tour.... think he has given up the drink and gone onto the juice by the looks of his physique though

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    He's good, but they've under utilised Campbell & given the quality of the new Riverdogs album, that's a mistake. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have been a fan since seeing them live on the slang tour.... think he has given up the drink and gone onto the juice by the looks of his physique though

Seems he quit drinking during the Hysteria recording. That's 30 years. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    @jeztone2 said:
    He's good, but they've under utilised Campbell & given the quality of the new Riverdogs album, that's a mistake. 
    I thought the same thing when I saw a live show on youtube recently, but actually I think he is underpinning allot of what is going on and Phil is doing the flash, which he is better at doing anyway
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    edited September 2017
    Have you seen the vids when Joe couldnt sing and the pair of them (Phil and Viv) took it in turns to sing his bits whilst holding down the guitars as normal. Very talented and under rated these days....

• Interestingly he's using the venerable JMP-1 Preamp and a Randall SS power amp live. 
    With 2 AxeFx for effects. 
    tFB Trader
    Interestingly he's using the venerable JMP-1 Preamp and a Randall SS power amp live. 
    With 2 AxeFx for effects. 
    stick with what works...
  • Teetotal vegan for a long time IIRC. In theory I saw him in Girl but that was a seriously long time ago and I saw Leopard pre Phil so I've seen the component parts. The Leppard classic album episode does a lot about their song writing and recording processes. Not my kind of sound at all but interesting stuff. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Love me some Leppard! Underrated band, great live.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspek said:
    Love me some Leppard! Underrated band, great live.
    100 million plus album sales, two diamond albums.

this is a new definition of underrated I'd previously been unaware of.  ;)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • He's a bad choice for the latest G3 tour though 
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    For a moment, I thought this was going to be an RIP thread...which would have been a shock as I've just sang BV's with him on an album! :)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1957
    edited September 2017
    As a kid I listened to:

Def Leppard's Hysteria
    WASP's Crimson Idol
    Iron Maiden's Piece of Mind
    &
    Thin Lizzy's Black Rose

I also listened to Fine Young Cannibal's and Big Country...But it was the Def Leppard Cassette Tape that I wore out first.

Vivian Campbell is an absolute Monster Guitarist, so it is a real shame that we didn't hear more from him.

I met Steve Clark's Niece in a Nightclub once (when Leathered) and said how much I missed those Riffs of his  - He really was an important Ingredient in that Winning Formula IMO.

When I saw them Live it was like listening to a CD, but I couldn't work out what this was about...

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/files/2012/05/DefLeppard.jpg

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10452
    I saw the Hysteria tour twice, once before the album went big and then later when they went huge ... It was a great show, Steve Clark used a do some simple buy really effective bits in his solo spot. Lightshow was awesome as were the vocals

Robert Mutt Lange was the most important ingredient in the studio back then. The parts were so well arranged by him in additional to him helping write the songs, singing backing vocals etc. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • miserneil said:
    ...which would have been a shock as I've just sang BV's with him on an album! :)
    #HumbleBrag ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    edited September 2017
    miserneil said:
    For a moment, I thought this was going to be an RIP thread...which would have been a shock as I've just sang BV's with him on an album!
    It looks like a RIPPED thread to me.

Seriously though, he's in very good shape and all that but maybe a shirt wouldn't go amiss once in a while? I can only assume the poor fellow is a bit skint.
    I'd suggest a nice pilot style shirt in easy-care, non-iron polyester. They look very smart with a pair of tan slacks and can hand washed and dried overnight on a hotel room radiator. I'd suggest this would be an ideal investment for hectic touring without breaking the bank.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I really enjoyed that podcast too - I love No Guitar is Safe anyway but glad I didn't skip this one as he seems a cool guy and happy in life - really interesting hearing the recording stories too
  • miserneil said:
    For a moment, I thought this was going to be an RIP thread...which would have been a shock as I've just sang BV's with him on an album! :)
    Tell tell. 
  • Being teetotal has done him a real favour.

He's lost that bald twat look he was rocking whilst in Genesis.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That topless photo is just grim.