Floyd Rose - does it need a locking nut?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• PabloPablo Frets: 38
    Catthan said:
    There was an episode of Tim - Pete show where @Petethorn was showing his 3TSB Suhr strat to which he had swapped the trem to a floyd-type (iirc one like the very first ones w.o. fine-tuners) and stated that with locking tuners it was good enough.

I suppose you need a well-built gtr in which the hardware works well to start with (like a Suhr) but it can be done apparently.. 

There's several videos of Guthrie Govan with his Charvel saying the same thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    DLM said:
    uksaint7 said:
    I've just bought a non-fine tuner Floyd Rose and a set of staggered Hipshot locking tuners for a Strat build. Kind of like the Charvel Guthrie model. Tom Anderson use the same bridge ('recessed vintage locking') on a lot of guitars too. As there are no fine tuners you can't use a locking nut!

Shh! No one tell this guy!

https://www.metal-archives.com/images/8/0/1/1/8011_artist.jpg

;)

??? but he has fine tuners?
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @axisus No he doesn't. The black protrusions are the Allen bolts for opening and closing the "jaws" of the saddles that hold the strings. 

Here's a shot of a replica where you can see it clearly:

https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s---5-I4hkq--/a_exif,c_limit,e_unsharp_mask:80,f_auto,fl_progressive,g_south,h_1600,q_80,w_1600/v1481822287/yixv1stxsbb351ixksio.jpg

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1957
    crunchman said:
    Rather than swap the neck I'd swap the guitar.  Having said that I wouldn't buy a guitar with a Floyd in the first place.

I'd rather have a Bigsby.  Who is that that gets wound up when you mention Bigsbys?
    Bigsbys can do alternate tunings whereas a Floyd Rose cannot - That's definitely a plus, but it doesn't have as much tuning stability.
  • I have a nice  partcaster with a non fine tuner Floyd Rose and hip shot locking tuners. It's very stable but I don't really get all Steve Vai on it, but do give it a bit of stick. 

Alex Lifeson used a Floyd without a locking nut for some years and it did him no harm, see Exit Stage Left video. 

• abw1989abw1989 Frets: 641
    I have seen Floyd equipped guitars that have used a steel roller nut with a 6 wide string tree just behind to keep them seated and a good set of locking tuners. 

Nothing factory made I must add, but custom built as you are suggesting.