Thoughts on Bassbreaker 007 head for gigging?

What's Hot
MazzaGMazzaG Frets: 82
As the title says, I need an amp head for gigs, I don't drive so the smaller the better and from what I can tell the Bassbreaker ticks many boxes for me. I'm not overly fussed about the gain settings, I'd mostly be using it for cleans/slight crunch as I get my dirt from pedals which is why cheaper options like the micro terror etc are not suitable. 

Any one who has played/owns one, is it gig worthy? How is it for volume when joined with a cab? I don't have a cab so will use whatever cab I can get either supplied from the venue or through band sharing. 

If you have any other recommendations of a similar quality that are cheaper I'm all ears too.

Also, if anyone is looking to sell one drop me a PM or reply here!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Are you playing venues where you're miked/mic'd (what's the correct way of spelling that?) up all the time?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72442
    I tried the combo recently and it was a horrible-sounding thing - muddy, too much gain, no dynamics or clarity. I can't imagine it was just the speaker, they don't make *that* much difference. I would strongly suggest trying one before you buy.

Much as I'm not a huge fan of the Tiny Terror (not Micro, which is awful), it's in a different league.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Check out the Peavey Micro Head range. I've not tried a BB007 but as above, they're the opposite to what you want if you want clean live volume. The Peavey's clean channel is lovely. 
  • Are you playing venues where you're miked/mic'd (what's the correct way of spelling that?) up all the time?
    Yup 90% of the time the amp is mic/miked/mic'd haha

ICBM said:
    I tried the combo recently and it was a horrible-sounding thing - muddy, too much gain, no dynamics or clarity. I can't imagine it was just the speaker, they don't make *that* much difference. I would strongly suggest trying one before you buy.

Much as I'm not a huge fan of the Tiny Terror (not Micro, which is awful), it's in a different league.
    Hmmm you've thrown a spanner in the works now! I'll most definitely try before I buy, based on demo videos though the head seems pretty good soundwise. And the Tiny Terror isn't what I need clean sound wise :-/ 

Check out the Peavey Micro Head range. I've not tried a BB007 but as above, they're the opposite to what you want if you want clean live volume. The Peavey's clean channel is lovely. 
    They're certainly a hell of a lot cheaper, i'm going to check out some demos, thank you.
    It's probably physically bigger than you want - although not that heavy - but maybe look at the Jet City 20 head as well. Only just over £200 new, and with a lot of clean headroom if you keep the gain down. It's a 'Marshall clean' rather than a 'Fender clean', but it's a lot louder and clearer even than the Tiny Terror.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    It's probably physically bigger than you want - although not that heavy - but maybe look at the Jet City 20 head as well. Only just over £200 new, and with a lot of clean headroom if you keep the gain down. It's a 'Marshall clean' rather than a 'Fender clean', but it's a lot louder and clearer even than the Tiny Terror.
    Thanks a lot mate i will check it out, Marshall clean works for me
  • ICBM said:

Yep.  

The Bassbreaker series are not Fender's finest moments.  I'd rather go for the Jet City 20w head or even the Custom 5. 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Quilter 101 Reverb.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30294
    What about one of those new Vox miniamp things? Aren't they about 30 or 50 watts?
  • I love my Jet City JCA22, and I've just taken delivery of a Custom 22. Seriously worth a look at those. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30294
    Yup, 50 watts and tiny

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    Sassafras said:
    Yup, 50 watts and tiny

Doesn't the output depend on the speaker impedance on these?
    rico said:

Doesn't the output depend on the speaker impedance on these?
    Yes, and if it's as loud - into any impedance - as a 15W valve amp I will be quite surprised.

I am *not* a valve snob as most of you will know, but there's just something about the power delivery and presence of a valve amp, especially in a mix, that can't be matched by a solid-state amp of the same power, even an old-school Class AB 'big iron' one with a heavy power transformer and discrete output transistors. Switch-mode power supply and Class D IC output section - not even close. Plenty of 'wattage' on paper, but doesn't translate into real-world volume. Just my personal experience...

• If you are miked up have you looked at something like a Blackstar HT5?  Or even as it hasn't been mentioned yet a boss katana?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • I've gigged a Blackstar HT5R head and Egnater Rebel 1x12 for the last 3 months. It's held it's own no problem. I always mic'd it up and it sounded great. Actually hearing it from the cab on stage was hit and miss depending on the venue and drummer, but I always used in ear monitors so I could always hear what I was doing.

I ran both channel volumes up around 3 quarters, with a compressor on the clean channel to boost it a bit. Plenty of clean headroom for me with low output pickups.

I used the amp previously with a Victory 1x12 open backed cab (The Egnater cab is closed back) I found it far easier to hear the amp on stage with the open backed cab, it filled alot more space on stage.

It also has a nice effects loop and a nice reverb built in. 

• What's your budget?  I'm selling a PTP handwired mini head that's ultra portable.
    Would be ideal for your needs, lovely cleans and plenty of power.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/113914/fs-mjw-bantam-head-and-2x10-cabinet#latest

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for all the replies guys, big big help! 

And @menamestom ; it's slightly out of my range unfortunately, but thanks :-) 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31619
    I have three 20w Jet City heads so you can put me down as a fan, but they're not particularly portable for someone who doesn't drive. 

I'd rather go direct-to-desk with some kind of multi-FX than gig with a cheap underpowered valve amp tbh, alternatively I just bought a Roland JC 22 which is light, very portable and simply fantastic sounding.