Pedal train boards - worth the money?

bigfuzzbigfuzz Frets: 45
Hi folks, 

So the time has come to officially accept that I need a real pedal board, I can't carry on wiring them up on the floor and creating a 'situation' for myself. 

All I've been recommended are the various pedal train boards, different shapes/sizes. They're not the cheapest, no. I do like that they come with cases designed to fit the board... I'm valuing that as an important factor for transport and general ease (who doesn't want to make this easier). 

The classic 1 seems to be the size for me.. http://www.pedaltrain.com/classic-1/ ;

Are there any alternatives that I should look at, that are on par in terms of build quality. I see that these pedal trains often include slots for mounting PSU underneath to save space. Is that essential?

A bit of advice would be appreciated... before I change my mind and spend this money on something sensible. Like bills.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    edited September 2017
    Look at the Palmer Pedalbays before you get a pedaltrain. I have both and the Palmer has some useful extra features over the pedaltrains. Quality wise, there's nothing between them, the Palmers also include cases and they're quite a bit cheaper.
    I think I got my Palmer from Gear4 Music in the UK 
  • Simple answer - no, because of the comments from @Beexter above. I have a Pedalbay 40 which, although it's no longer used since I got the Helix, was great because of a) price, and b) the PSU mount and movable slats.

Oh, and they come with soft cases.
    <space for hire>
  • @digitalscream @Beexter  thanks for the heads up, will check the Palmer dealies out.

• steersteer Frets: 1192
    Seconded - Palmer or Harley Benton (which I think are the same thing). 
  • If it helps, I'm thinking of shipping on my pedal train2 with full, perfect flight case as I'm just not using it anymore. They may cost a lot new but resale values suck! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2930
    There never used to be a comparable product, so they used to be worth the money. Now there are plenty of alternatives, Palmer being one.
  • I have a pedaltrain 2 and as great as I think it is...if I was to buy another board I'd just buy a copy as they seem to be just as good for half the price.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Pedal train -- worth the money?
    Yes!
    Because I went from a big, bulky, gawd-knows-what board (hey, does anyone want to buy the flight case?)
    To a lightweight Pedal Train Metro 24 in a great flight case.
    Worth every penny to me.

Could I have got the same thing cheaper?  Probably by the looks of it.
    But the PT is still a great board and I love it.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1380
    Secondhand, PTs are good value, and it's nice to know exactly what will fit on or under it. I saw a board on tdpri where the person had a DC5 on top of an off-brand PT-alike coz it was too narrow to mount underneath. Well, that misses the point and beauty of the Cioks design. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4929
    I've got a Pedaltrain Classic Jr and it is a well designed quality piece of kit, with the power supply space underneath.

I've also got a cheapie smaller pedalboard for some guitar pedals; it just sits flat on the floor and I got the cheapie because I didn't think the PT Nano had anything over it for that layout.