Random Sperzel Fail

What's Hot
Sat down with my gently used (though highly modded) Gretsch Corvette this afternoon.  Unusually, it was out of tune.  Gently turned the low E tuner, nothing happens.  

It it looks like the Sperzel has died.  Turning does nothing.  Looking at the back (lower right hand side in photos), it looks like something has worked loose on the opposite side of the tuner to the peg.

Photos:  https://imgur.com/a/nbFcu

is this repairable?  It’s had no abuse, had an easy life, suffered no dings or bashed.   Any thoughts?

if it can’t be fixed, where can I get a spare...?

Thanks for any advice offered, 

Marlin
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16748
    edited September 2017
    Push it back in and tighten the screw on the button.   

this is the part you can see sticking out

you can fully disassemble sperzels really easily.  change them for left/right handed use or mix different colours - the downside is they occasionally work themselves apart on there own, but i doubt there is anything actually wrong.

https://www.guitarpickups.xyz/blogs/how-tos/71471107-how-do-i-turn-my-6-in-line-or-3x3-sperzel-tuners-into-a-4x2-set
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72532
    If it is actually broken, I think I have a few spare single ones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WezVWezV Frets: 16748
    ICBM said:
    If it is actually broken, I think I have a few spare single ones.
    Yeah, I have quite a few spare parts for these too.

i had a few with broken locator pins... the main weakness in the design 

still love sperzels though 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7915
    edited September 2017
    I tightened it up, popped the string back on, but a half turn later it’s apart again. 
    Something must have failed in there...

i’ll pull It apart in the good light tomorrow, and see if I can see anything obvious...
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    edited September 2017
    Hope you get this sorted, ive never had any issues with Sperzels personally. More importantly we all want ot see pics of that white corvette - only ever seen them in cherry before!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7366
    Has the pin fallen out?