Gibson les Paul's, a mine field on the sh narket ?

What's Hot
so I'm looking for a Gibson les paul standard on the used market , is there any way to be sure it's a standard as appears to classic/traditional ? 

Any help greatly recieved! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• As approsed .. can't spell zz
  • mrleon83 said:
    As approsed .. can't spell zz
    I think you mean opposed ;)

Apart from the truss rod cover denoting the model, not really as the Trad's and standards are similar the trads just don't have the weight relief that the standards have, more recent standards had all the switching options where you could split the coils etc whereas the trads have no split coil options unless you see a trad II which has uncovered pickups with zebra bobbins.

The trads have the plastic tuners as well whereas the standards have metal tuners.  Usually locking.

If you're buying one in person you can tell because the neck profiles on the standards is slimmer/more modern.  

The only other ways of telling would be to take the pickups out and check to see if there are any labels, AFAIK the trads had 57 classics and the standards tended to have burstbuckers.

Classics have a thinner body do they not?  Or was it only the "less paul" that had that?  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72540
    In my experience you'd be better buying a Traditional.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3637
    Trad's didn't appear until 2008 so anything prior to that will be a Standard or Classic. 
  • ICBM said:
    For what reason? The thing that appeals about a standard is the weight relief.. 

• Arktik83 said:
    mrleon83 said:
    I think you mean opposed
    Going back to school ...
  • For what reason? The thing that doesn't appeal about a Standard is the weight relief.. 

Corrected it for you. ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • For what reason? The thing that doesn't appeal about a Standard is the weight relief.. 

Corrected it for you. ;)

Haha oh man .. I have an original prs singlecut but in my grand old slipped disc age I'm struggling using it for long periods of time ... 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72540
    edited September 2017
    mrleon83 said:
    ICBM said:
    For what reason? The thing that appeals about a standard is the weight relief.. 
    Although strangely, most of the recent Standards I've played have been heavier than the - admittedly far fewer - Trads. Weight relief actually makes less of a difference than simply using a lighter piece of wood in the first place, which seems to be the case with the Trads.

You also get a lot of crap you don't need on the Standard, and worse pickups… usually for a higher price.

The last Trad we had in the shop was a nicer guitar - apart from the slightly glaringly bright sunburst, admittedly - than the

R9 we also have . And a third of the price.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14328
    tFB Trader
    simple and complicated in lots of ways

The LP Standard has had that name since the early 70's - Yet it has had many many face lifts and variations during that period - If original it will say Standard on the truss rod cover - If it has the warranty card with it, then the model name (in code) will be featured on a line by the serial number

Easy way to tell a Classic, again based on original is open coil humbuckers - no covers and apart from a few early examples it will say Les Paul Classic in script text on the headstock facia

Again the Traditional has had a few changes to its format since introduction, but assuming all original it will again state Traditional on the truss rod and if it still has the warranty card, then again the model number will be clearly listed

If buying from a shop, then the dealer SHOULD have verified as appropriate - If buying privately then check in with FB once you've found out what you are looking for and I'm sure we can all help
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2017 tFB Trader
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  - sorry pressed post before finishing

In many ways the above guitars can do the same/similar job - The finer nuances between them regarding neck profile and tone is  a matter of opinion/choice - Some will say 'I've been a fan of XYZ hero for 20 years and he plays an LP Std so that is what I want' - on that basis if that is a dream guitar then go for it - But based on tone and playing performance and of course your opinion on cosmetics, then check them out accordingly and buy the one that ticks the boxes

In the past I've known potential buyers come to buy a Standard, but whilst in the store try say a Classic and as such buy opposite to what they intended
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 188
    edited September 2017
    Thanks for the help guys! I did try a traditional at pmt. last week, it was a hp model and the neck felt huge, that was a 2016 model .. the standard I preferred the neck .. sound wise I preferred the traditional ... man this is awkward ... I'm (like everyone) looking for a bargain so may not be able to try before I buy which from what I understand is pretty silly ... so who know what I'll end up with 
  • Thrrrs been a few signature t's crop up, what's the deal with those ? They look like a classic ...
    tFB Trader
    mrleon83 said:
    Thanks for the help guys! I did try a traditional at pmt. last week, it was a hp model and the neck felt huge, that was a 2016 model .. the standard I preferred the neck .. sound wise I preferred the traditional ... man this is awkward ... I'm (like everyone) looking for a bargain so may not be able to try before I buy which from what I understand is pretty silly ... so who know what I'll end up with 
    The only good bargain is the guitar you like and you end up keeping - buy the wrong guitar on a crazy deal then chances are you'll loose a few quid selling it shortly after to buy another variation

Agree it is a nightmare with so many options but back your own judgement based on ears and hands and eyes if neccessary
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4939
    mrleon83 said:
    Never mind - you chucked in an extra apostrophe to make up for it!

I'm sure there are plenty of folks who think they have a Gibson which is really a fake. Not quite as bad as Fenders, where all it takes is a waterslide decal to turn a copy into a heirloom, but definitely buyer beware!
  • mrleon83 said:
    The only good bargain is the guitar you like and you end up keeping - buy the wrong guitar on a crazy deal then chances are you'll loose a few quid selling it shortly after to buy another variation

Agree it is a nightmare with so many options but back your own judgement based on ears and hands and eyes if neccessary
    Just eyeing up that 95 standard on your page, what's the weight on that one ? 
    tFB Trader
    mrleon83 said:
    mrleon83 said:

Just eyeing up that 95 standard on your page, what's the weight on that one ? 
    full heavy weight that one - 10lbs and 2oz - common for such period to have more weight - any further questions etc then just ask