Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Laptop as practice amp?

What's Hot

I live in a small terraced house so it isn’t fair on my nice neighbours that I crank my Bassbreaker 15 whenever I want to practice at home. Rather than use headphones or buy a smaller amp, I’m looking into the possibility of using my laptop (paired with some nice Bose speakers I have) as a quasi-practice amp. I’m a bit of a dunce when it comes to this kind of thing so would appreciate any help.

I have a fairly new Macbook Pro that has Garage Band. I’ve done lots of research and see that I will need an audio interface to act as a preamp. The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is cheap and well-reviewed so that’s top of the list at the minute. I know that the AI acts as the input but I can’t figure out whether I can use the laptop paired with the speakers as the output? In anything I’ve read or watched the AI is used as the output to headphones as the people using it are into recording. I’m not terribly interested in recording, I just want to use it as an amp – anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Years ago i used to use a Line 6 Guitar port into my PC worked fine. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm fairly sure you will need a set of monitor speakers to plug into the back of your Scarlett. My PC setup uses a Scarlett Solo that outputs to my headphones or monitors, both of which are plugged into the Solo. Sounds like you need an amp with a .5W mode. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11465
    I basically use my AI as my soundcard and have my speakers plugged into that.

There is a free version of Amplitube.  It only has 4 amps and basic functionality but that might be useful for you.
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    edited September 2017
    I have used logic with an amp simulator running, apogee one as the interface and then an aux input cable from the headphone jack on the apogee, straight into the aux input on my power amplifier out to my speakers. works a treat.
  • crunchman said:

There is a free version of Amplitube.  It only has 4 amps and basic functionality but that might be useful for you.
    I couldn't get on with Amplitube, so I bought Bias FX recently on offer-works out at about £45.00 ish and it's so much easier to use.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11465
    Sparky said:
    crunchman said:

I couldn't get on with Amplitube, so I bought Bias FX recently on offer-works out at about £45.00 ish and it's so much easier to use.
    There are several options.  I think there is S Gear as well, and Garage Band may have some inbuilt amp sims.

Personally I'd try the free ones first, and then spend money if I didn't get on with them.

• crunchman said:
    Sparky said:
    crunchman said:

There are several options.  I think there is S Gear as well, and Garage Band may have some inbuilt amp sims.

Personally I'd try the free ones first, and then spend money if I didn't get on with them.

Agreed. As the OP already has Garage Band, I guess he may not need anything. Is an iRig cheaper to buy than a Scarlett though? You can get them second hand for a bargain. 
  • Just checked myself, second hand iRig HD's are about 40 quid. OP should be able to use that into the laptop using Garage Band and GB should output to any connected PC speakers. I think.
  • one of these 

cheap as chips, D/L gear monkey from line 6 for all the amp models etc 
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Line-6-Guitar-Port-/122707552923?hash=item1c91f0aa9b:g:jMcAAOSwA2hZvC6C

• aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    So what happens if you plug directly into the mic input of the PC, ie. by converting the jack size, but without a separate audio interface/iRig/guitar port etc?  Is the level wrong or something?
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    edited September 2017
    Garageband has loads of amp simulations just plug into your AI  & play through your speakers. The only negative is possible lag when you play fast passages.
  • aord43 said:
    So what happens if you plug directly into the mic input of the PC, ie. by converting the jack size, but without a separate audio interface/iRig/guitar port etc?  Is the level wrong or something?
    Either nothing or a cacophony of the worst noises you've ever heard. Give it a go :) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've got a Vox Amplug, you can plug the output of that into basically anything.

Lets you use your car as an amp as well - which is fun :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10452
    aord43 said:
    No it will work but a guitar plugged in directly in will lose all it's treble as that socket is designed with an electret mic in mind which is happy into about 10K ..... a passive guitar needs an input impedence of around 1M ..... you can get round this though by using something with a buffer built in like a non true bypass pedal or a tuner

The other problem though is latency ... the drivers that come with basic onboard sound aren't optimized for low latency. This means there's a delay between you playing a note on the guitar and hearing it amped up through the computer. The generic ASIO for All driver can help though, I've done pretty much what you said, plugged straight in but my guitars active ... then used ASIO for all to get a workable latency

Another option is buy an old iPhone 4S or similar and use that. My general day to day practice amp is my phone and JAMUP ap via a homemade iRig
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4940
    I reckon using headphones or in-ears will be tiring and harm your hearing.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I use Bias FX and an Apogee Jam with monitor headphones for silent/late night practice. Sounds great considering!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4991
    What about using a Blackstar Fly? A real guitar amp and you can play your music on your laptop through it.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Rocker said:
    What about using a Blackstar Fly? A real guitar amp and you can play your music on your laptop through it.
    Good call, they sound great. You can get one with Bluetooth now as well.

Don't forget the ID core series as well, the Core 10 is pretty compact and has lots of options.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • You can route the sound out of your MacBook to any audio device you like. Are your speakers Bluetooth?
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    The LePou vst amps aren't too shabby when mixed with some decent IRs.