Calling Charvel Experts. Japanese Charvel So Cal pro mod Neck finish. Happy Ending..

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• I'm glad it all worked out for you in the end @kipple ; - I was sorely tempted by the white So-Cal but went for the candy blue colour when i bought mine - very nice guitar and I'm very happy with mine too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2483
    A fat brass block makes a surprisingly large difference on a floyd IMHO.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • congrats..

@paulphoenix ; ironically the candy blue is one of the few Charvel colours I can't get along with.. and blue is my favourite colour... I have a model 4m candy Red..  I have owned a blue model 2, model 3A and model 4M and model 4;.. but just get along with the colour each time..  I recently saw a candy blue in Reidys.. same deal, not for me..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10348
    FX_Munkee said:
    Congrats @kipple that's a great looking guitar.

I'm liking the idea of the brass block.You wouldn't happen to know where the seller got it from,would you? I wouldn't mind trying one in my San Dimas.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • kipplekipple Frets: 354
    FX_Munkee said:

I'm liking the idea of the brass block.You wouldn't happen to know where the seller got it from,would you? I wouldn't mind trying one in my San Dimas.
    I have asked the Seller Who made block that has been used as the upgrade so If he he knows and if he replies I will let you know.

I have done the brass block upgrade myself on a Few Charvels and I agree that it always makes a significant difference everytime.
    But.... I have found the difference has not always been for the better.
    I have done it to some charvels and it was a dramatic Improvement and yet on other charvels the change has been for the worse. when it has been for the worse I found it made the guitar sound too warm and altered the playing feel in a negative way. 
    I suppose it depends on the guitar...
    It's worth noting that on all the USA and Japanese Pro Mods The sustain block is actually brass even though it is Silver in color. The stock sustain block Is just not as big as the Upgrades. 
    I put peoples heads in horse's beds

Thanks @kipple ;

Interesting.I didn't know that about the USA and Jap Charvels.My San Dimas is a Jap one and does sound great but was wondering if the bigger block would improve the sustain.
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Just bought a brass block for my new Floyd-equipped guitar, looking forward to hearing the much vaunted differences :)

Congrats on the new guitar, looks the business, I'm pleased it worked out for you :)

Just needs some black stripes... :)
    clarkefan said:
    Just bought a brass block for my new Floyd-equipped guitar, looking forward to hearing the much vaunted differences :)

Congrats on the new guitar, looks the business, I'm pleased it worked out for you :)

Thanks and thank you also to everyone else that has commented and supported and checked my sanity...

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2382
    kipple said:
    FX_Munkee said:

I have asked the Seller Who made block that has been used as the upgrade so If he he knows and if he replies I will let you know.

I have done the brass block upgrade myself on a Few Charvels and I agree that it always makes a significant difference everytime.
    I have done it to some charvels and it was a dramatic Improvement and yet on other charvels the change has been for the worse. when it has been for the worse I found it made the guitar sound too warm and altered the playing feel in a negative way. 
    It's worth noting that on all the USA and Japanese Pro Mods The sustain block is actually brass even though it is Silver in color. The stock sustain block Is just not as big as the Upgrades. 
    That's what I'm always worried about. I've never done the swap myself, but when I hear all the words which are used to describe the "improvement" in tone, I always wonder, "But do I actually want that?" I actually like the brightish, tight tone you get from a regular Floyd.
    edited October 2017
    Dave_Mc said:
    kipple said:
    FX_Munkee said:

That's what I'm always worried about. I've never done the swap myself, but when I hear all the words which are used to describe the "improvement" in tone, I always wonder, "But do I actually want that?" I actually like the brightish, tight tone you get from a regular Floyd.
    One of the things I have found that sometimes makes a really Big difference is changing the stock Charvel Spring Claw to a Brass one.

A brass Claw Can sometimes increase the brightness a LOT.  Much more than you would think... It is almost the opposite effect that a Big brass block can have. 
    Again I have found it works well for some guitars and not for others. It ALL Depends on the guitar again as it to the effect of the brass claw being a desirable Difference.
    Experimenting with this stuff is sometimes a rabbit hole...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    FX_Munkee said:

@breakstuff ;
    The Seller Just got back to me and has told me the Brass Block Is Made By FU-Tone.
    I looked them up and it seems to me to be quite a pricy option. By the time Import duty and VAT and shipping cost is added it comes to around £100 My thoughts on that price are F*!k that...

You can get the real deal Floyd rose ones from Ebay with free delivery for £23-£28
    I have put some links to them below.I have used these Myself in the past and they are fatter than the stock block and they do the job Properly and fit nicely.
    Hope that helps

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLOYD-ROSE-BRASS-FAT-TREMOLO-BLOCK-32MM-FROFTB32-/272803759982?epid=2167682193&hash=item3f845f076e:g:bCgAAOSwwxlZkGJg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Floyd-Rose-Rg-Brass-Fat-Tremolo-Block-For-Original-Floyd-/253004072311?var=552051059804&epid=2078698817&hash=item3ae837c577:m:mk2QgMguuPPMzqPPacucrIw

Thanks for taking the time to do that @kipple Much appreciated.

It's my birthday in a couple of weeks and my wife is bugging me for ideas.This should do nicely.

Cheers.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2382
    kipple said:
    One of the things I have found that sometimes makes a really Big difference is changing the stock Charvel Spring Claw to a Brass one.

A brass Claw Can sometimes increase the brightness a LOT.  Much more than you would think... It is almost the opposite effect that a Big brass block can have. 
    Again I have found it works well for some guitars and not for others. It ALL Depends on the guitar again as it to the effect of the brass claw being a desirable Difference.
    Experimenting with this stuff is sometimes a rabbit hole...
    Haha wow I never thought of that. Thanks for the tip. As you said, though, it can be a rabbit hole.
    clarkefan said:

I meant to ask @clarkefan ;... what Floyd-equipped guitar did you get 

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    New lefty Wolfgang Standard, first ever Floyd guitar, great fun :)