Hm Strat Refinish & HS mod

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GizmoGizmo Frets: 1076
    So im almost ready to put this all together....

Its a bit more pink in the flesh ! my phones camera can't seem handle the fluoresces.

So the main delay in get this all together comes from the clear venting,on the charvel it took just over 2 weeks and was rock solid ready to flat,but it seems the canbrush spray under this was a little slower to vent than the OK candy because after 2 weeks it still had a bit of a venting smell so i left if for another 2 weeks and setup an old 120mm 12v pc case fan to help move the fumes away.

Latest issue i have is the kahler mounting posts.....seems at some point in its history the studs have been swap out (im guessing for an OFR floyd) the problem with this is that the Floyd posts that fit these studs are 5.75mm and the kahlar replacement posts my bro got me from whammy parts in the USA  are 4.75mm.....argghhh and i cant use standard floyd posts as the trem doesn't quite fulcum on them (the spyder knife edges sit over the top of the post head like -=) and there thickness also pushes the trem to far back so it wont sit in its route.

As i don't want the hassle/cost of tracking down org kahlar studs and filling-redrilling them ive decided to try some M5 
    Helical threads to take the studs internal tap down by 1mm so the kahlar post should then fit....waiting on the postman for those to arrive to try.

I think im going to grab a set of white vol/tone knobs to match the pickups,off to check evilbay china ;)

Laters
    Gizmo
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gizmo said:
    Had the lurgy for the past few days but i managed to slip out and get a few final pink coats on today,i stopped after the 2nd coat as i was getting retina burn!

Lets just say its rather PINK.

Is there a thread about the pink Maverick I have missed? 
    All the right notes, not always in the right order!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1076
    Is there a thread about the pink Maverick I have missed? 
    It didn't get a thread yet (it's finished and rebuild now btw) it was a total pain in the ass due to a few problems i had with conflicting finishes (even from the same finis h type/manufacturer) and the in progress pics i had taken were on a old phone that crapped out,i'll see if it will connect up and let me dump the images over once i dig it out the draw ;)

This HM is all together now just await for the postman to bring a new barrel jack and 1meg pots (HM's have TXB 250k/1 meg stacks but im not paying £15 each for tone pots FFS so it's getting 1 meg pots)
  • That's looking really nice. I'm in the middle of a similar refurb to an HM Strat but I'm going for a more traditional looking end product: Olympic White with a black (custom made) scratchplate, 10" radius ebony fretboard with SS med jumbo frets to replace the 17" maple board, EMG 89/SA/SA pups, and a genuine Floyd to replace the Kahler Spyder. I've also gone for single vol (push/pull for the coil tap) and a single tone control. Pics available if anyone is interested! There's also some original pups and the Kahler up for sale if anyone wants them.
  • @Gizmo , have you got any more pic of this sexy refurb?