Bath/Bristol PRS owners?

What's Hot
nickpnickp Frets: 183
edited September 2017 in Guitar
scrounge time

I'm umming about getting a s/h PRS - either a custom 24, probably not the santana 111 (unsure about the shorter scale length and odd position of the knobs - but i could be convinced :) ), or maybe the CE.  

I don't suppose there are any prs owners around here who would be willing for me to fanny around for half an hour on their guitar (s) to help with the decision making process??  

Due to budget it'll have to be one of the cheaper s/h ones about that I buy - but a s/h 2016+ CE is about a grand as are some of the PRS 22/24 fret customs floating around.  

anyway I'd be forever grateful (well at least sufficiently grateful to bring some wine or beer) and maybe a couple of my guitars for you to try out in return

ta muchly

nick
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• No PRS but do have Eagle Berlin Pro if you want to have a go
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Why don't you just go and grab one from your local guitar shop? Used ones don't play much if any differently to new ones, and you'll still get a feel for the shape, weight etc. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4194
    edited September 2017
    Sparky said:
    Why don't you just go and grab one from your local guitar shop? Used ones don't play much if any differently to new ones, and you'll still get a feel for the shape, weight etc. 
    My problem in trying PRS's in shops is that they are usually not setup properly, even some I have tried at Trade shows have been terrible. It's almost as if they set them up for Blues players obsessed with pentatonic widdle and not unlock the potential if the guitar, I qualify this, primarily as they are damned expensive guitars on the whole 
  • nickp said:
    half an hour ... decision making process  
    Half a minute should suffice. Either way, you'll know. ;)

Sparky said:
    Why don't you just go and grab one from your local guitar shop? get a feel for the shape, weight etc. 
    Good suggestion. Try the different neck profiles and scale lengths. 

The argument against visiting a dealership is that it would be very difficult to nonchalantly drop in without "accidentally" purchasing something. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    it's not so relaxed at a dealers tho'.  a pint and a chat whilst diddling or widdling is a much more sensible idea.   

I agree that a definite  "no" is quite quick (I tried a musicman axis recently) but sometimes a considered yes is harder imho. 

No PRS but do have Eagle Berlin Pro if you want to have a go
    now that's an offer I can't refuse - and I've got some pedals that are yours - although which ones is anyone's guess :)  I think it's the delays innit?

• sweepy said:
    Sparky said:
    Why don't you just go and grab one from your local guitar shop? Used ones don't play much if any differently to new ones, and you'll still get a feel for the shape, weight etc. 
    My problem in trying PRS's in shops is that they are usually not setup properly, even some I have tried at Trade shows have been terrible. It's almost as if they set them up for Blues players obsessed with pentatonic widdle and not unlock the potential if the guitar, I qualify this, primarily as they are damned expensive guitars on the whole 
    What makes you think that the setup on one that someone already owns will be any different? Isn't setup purely subjective anyway?
    nickp said:
    half an hour ... decision making process  
    Half a minute should suffice. Either way, you'll know. ;)

Sparky said:
    Why don't you just go and grab one from your local guitar shop? get a feel for the shape, weight etc. 
    Good suggestion. Try the different neck profiles and scale lengths. 

The argument against visiting a dealership is that it would be very difficult to nonchalantly drop in without "accidentally" purchasing something. 
    wisdom!
  • Sparky said:
    sweepy said:
    Sparky said:
    What makes you think that the setup on one that someone already owns will be any different? Isn't setup purely subjective anyway?

Any US PRS I've picked up off the shelves has played fine to me.  I don't play blues.

I'm guessing given your user name you want a super low action?