Buffered pedal, how long a cable?

What's Hot
shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
If the last pedal on my pedalboard is buffered, a Neunaber in my case, how long a cable will I be able to have to the amp before I might experience any problems?  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Long enough that you don't need to worry about it in practice.

I did a test with a Korg DT10 tuner years ago when I bought a reel of cable to make up some long cables. Before I cut the cable I wired up jacks to either end making about 40 meters, then tried it with and without a buffer. I also compared it to my planet waves 3 meter cable.

Without a buffer, it sounded like I'd rolled the guitar's tone control all the way down. Then I did 3 meter cable -> Korg DT-10 -> 40 meter cable, and it sounded like the 3 meter cable straight into the amp - maybe *slightly* less sparkle, but nothing that couldn't be fixed by a hair more treble at the amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Image result for science fuck yeah

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72581
    About half a mile.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    Thanks!
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Isn't it more important to have a buffer in/as one of your first pedals rather than the last? If I understand correctly a buffer can only preserve what's there, not make up what's already been lost through your guitar to board cable and your pedals/interconnects?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72581
    Octafish said:
    Isn't it more important to have a buffer in/as one of your first pedals rather than the last? If I understand correctly a buffer can only preserve what's there, not make up what's already been lost through your guitar to board cable and your pedals/interconnects?
    It doesn't really matter, unless you have any old-fashioned 'half bypass' pedals, which do suck tone. If all your pedals are true bypass then the biggest cause of tone suck is the cable to the amp, so you can put the buffer at the end and it will work as well as at the beginning, without potentially upsetting pedals like fuzzes which can be sensitive to having a buffer in front of them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein