Buffers - what's going on?

What's Hot
BeexterBeexter Frets: 614
edited September 2017 in FX
I've recently purchased the new Flashback 2 delay from TC Electronic and have come across an issue that I haven't before concerning buffers.

When I engage the pedal, there is a significant volume boost, even with delay level control at minimum. This was with the internal dip switch on the pedal set to true bypass.

I tested the pedal straight into a Yamaha THR10 with a 10ft cable from pedal to amp and a 3ft cable from guitar to pedal. I also ran the 10ft cable straight from guitar to amp as a comparison. The volume and tone sounded the same whether I went straight to amp or through the pedal with the pedal off. If I engaged the pedal, the volume was noticeably louder.

Switching the internal dip switch to buffered bypass keeps the volume levels the same whether the pedal is on or off but, even when the pedal is off, the volume is louder than plugging straight into the amp.

I checked this with TC customer support  ( who were quick to respond and gave a detailed reply) and they said this was normal and is all to do with impedance.

I always knew buffers had an impact on high-end tones but wasn't aware they impacted on volume too.

Is volume boost a fundamental part of buffer circuits or is it down to the design of the individual buffer circuit how much boost the designers build in?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited September 2017
    yep, true bypass v's buffer affects impedance.  buffers don't all act the same.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2595
    tFB Trader
    Ro_S said:
    yep, true bypass v's buffer affects impedance.  buffers don't all act the same.
    there are good buffers and there are bad buffers, but true bypass is not all its cracked up to be either
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28661
    In engineering terms a buffer is a unity-gain device with flat phase and frequency response that presents a very high impedance to the previous stage, and a very low impedance to the output stage.

So it shouldn't make things louder or quieter, and it shouldn't make things bassier or trebblier or middier. However, in an electric guitar setup a buffer first in the chain may well result in more treble making it from the guitar to the next stage.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    What TC said. It sounds like the amp's input is a bit too low an impedance and is lowering the volume when the guitar is straight in or the pedal is true-bypassed. The buffer will fix this.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 614
    ICBM said:
    What TC said. It sounds like the amp's input is a bit too low an impedance and is lowering the volume when the guitar is straight in or the pedal is true-bypassed. The buffer will fix this.
    Interesting - I hadn't even considered the amp's input impedance. I'm going to try it into my valve amps now... (i don't usually run pedals into the THR)
    Thanks to all for the comments. 
    Beexter said:

Interesting - I hadn't even considered the amp's input impedance. I'm going to try it into my valve amps now... (i don't usually run pedals into the THR)
    At a guess it won't do it with the valve amps. Most valve amps have an input impedance of 1Mohm, which is high enough not to load the guitar significantly. The specs for the THR don't give the input impedance, but if it's only as low as 100K it will make a noticeable difference.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I wonder if this is partly why people often say the THRs aren't great with pedals?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    edited September 2017
    I wonder if this is why people often say the THRs aren't great?
    Ftfy
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 614
    edited September 2017
    Well, I've just tried it into my Mesa Express 5:25+ with both a Strat and Music Man Axis SuperSport and exactly the same issue as above - when the pedal is in buffered bypass mode, there is a noticeable volume bump compared to the signal straight into the amp whether the pedal is on or off. Stick it in true bypass mode and there is a noticeable volume bump when you engage the pedal. This is all at low bedroom volumes.
    I s'pose it could eliminate the tap dance when it's solo time....
    I'll have to experiment with it in a chain of pedals...
  • I wonder if this is why people often say the THRs aren't great?
    Ftfy
    Shut it Mr “low gain suxx”! :p 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ^^ that was meant to be a tongue it smiley. Not mr grumpy plectrum. Hrmph
    Beexter said:
    Well, I've just tried it into my Mesa Express 5:25+ with both a Strat and Music Man Axis SuperSport and exactly the same issue as above - when the pedal is in buffered bypass mode, there is a noticeable volume bump compared to the signal straight into the amp whether the pedal is on or off. Stick it in true bypass mode and there is a noticeable volume bump when you engage the pedal. This is all at low bedroom volumes.
    If it's not the amp, it sounds like either the buffer is in fact giving a volume boost (ie is poorly designed) or there's a fault with the cable between the pedal and the amp which is acting as a lower impedance.

Unless the cable is definitely faulty, the best solution is just to use the pedal buffered.