New amp ?????

What's Hot
bassborabassbora Frets: 132
I am thinking about getting a new amp.  I have not really decided if I am going ahead with this but I thought I would seek an opinion here.

So what I am looking for is an amp for home use and maybe in the future small gigs so I don't want a big loud thing.  I prefer either a head and a cab 1x12 or a combo in a similar size.

I would like said amp to have good cleans (fairly clean) and take pedals well.  I am not too bothered if this is a multi channel amp or not.  I play rock and into metal.

I was thinking either used or new but since my gigging bass amp is Mesa I was thinking about the same.  I was possibly thinking Recto Verb 25 or Mark V:35.  I know that prices are a bit stupid on these amps new so I might look at used but I just really like my Subway D800 I have been using for some time now and I really like the build quality and sound of these amps.

Any suggestions welcome.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537

There are loads of lovely single channel boutique flavours out there these days, too many to mention. For this route I'd be looking at something like a UK made Rift Amps rather than a Boogie where you're paying lot's of shipping and distributor mark up fees.

At the other end, best bang for the buck all rounder at the moment has to be PRS Sonzera (in either 20 watt or 60 watt), I think these look great for the money, sound good in the clips, and are getting good reviews.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    I use a Mini Rectifier for at home practising and gigging fairly frequently, the Rectoverb 25 is pretty much the same thing but with reverb. I love it, pretty much does anything i need it to. 
    Channel 1 Clean mode is very nice, Pushed mode kicks it into a great classic rock type vibe.
    Then you have channel 2 with Vintage (great for heavy rock, very fluid, the notes seem to jump off the fretboard) and Modern which is where i spend a lot of time. 

Its a very versatile amp, and very loud too. I cant really use ch2 Modern at home, its just too loud but otherwise its good for home use. It excell's at gig volume ( i use a 4x12) and never really have to turn it up more than halfway.
    It also takes pedals well too.

If you want Mesa build quality and sound these deliver in spades, and yes while they are comically expensive new you can pick them up used if you look around. My Mini Rec cost me £500, a hell of a saving over the £1350 new price. 
  • Thanks guys for your replies. I was just hoping not to start buying and selling amps to find the one I am looking for.

@nick79 I had not thought about the mini rectifier. I will look into that.
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    Definitely check them out mate, or the Rectoverb - They don't seem to come up used much but they pop up occasionally. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Take a look at Yerasov. I have a GTA 15 which is a superb hand wired amp for under £400. Takes pedals really well and is super quiet if you want it for recording. 

They do several models, the distributor is brilliant to deal with also. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11792
    Buy Boss Katana save small fortune and avoid bad back?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'll second the katana, just got one, my jvm410hjs is sat in the corner sulking mow
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782

It's a shame you're in Scotland, I've got a Mesa Subway Rocket Reverb that sounds like it might fit your bill. Small and light, Mark series voicing and loud enough for gigs... and not stupid price.

• ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    I've found a 10" works so much better at home, plus pre amp valves with less gain. For me a ten produces a much more focused and refined sound, at home that is.
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    Maynehead said:

It's a shame you're in Scotland, I've got a Mesa Subway Rocket Reverb that sounds like it might fit your bill. Small and light, Mark series voicing and loud enough for gigs... and not stupid price.

Lovely little amps.  I've had mine for about 18 years and it never fails to put a smile on my face.  You could add a 1x12 if you wanted some more bottom end when gigging.  Some of the s/h Boogie stuff is well priced at the moment - once you get away from the newer models like Mk5 and LSS.